Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I barely do anything on my MBP other than surfing, streaming, and watching movies and this thing gets pretty warm. Will the introduction of sandy bridge do the same thing to the MBA?

JusChexin

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
I barely do anything on my MBP other than surfing, streaming, and watching movies and this thing gets pretty warm. Will the introduction of sandy bridge do the same thing to the MBA?

I have no answer to your question, but I'm SO hoping not.

I'm running a Mid-2007 Macbook that turns 4-years old at the end of May. I'm really hoping to move up to a new MacBook Air once the next update comes out and I'd really love to not have to contend with fans-a-blazing anymore. This 2007 model is the best laptop I've ever owned, but you could scramble eggs on it. It doesn't take much prompting at all for my MB to start making noises like I'm on a runway waiting for the jet to take off. I'd really like to not have to deal with this on a future MacBook Air purchase! :D

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...well with the LV variant of SB vs the regular SB CPU's in the MBP's, I hope not...

I'd wait and see some reviews before running out and buying one when they do finally get upgraded...

I played with an 11" and 13" current model for a couple weeks each and really liked them both but wanted a machine that was "more" different than my current two laptops so back both MBA's went...

Neither of the C2D/Nvidia 320 models got warm/hot or loud.

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
It will never run as hot as a MBP, but it may be as powerful. Power and portability don't bond together, but if we see the new SB processors, increased 512GB flash storage, intel 3000 graphics, or up to 8GB RAM, it Will definitely be worth buying it.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you contradicted yourself in that prior post ^^

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you contradicted yourself in that prior post ^^

I agree, that was quite a confusing post when I first read it lol.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Wait for ivy bridge if you care about heat. The ivy bridge chip will be smaller than the current sandy bridge and produce 20-30% less heat according to anandtech.

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

I'm keeping my current MBA and will be buying a new MBA after the chip that comes after Ivy Bridge is released. ;) Hopefully by then we'll have chips that don't make heat at all, yet have the processing power of my current desktop PC.

We can all dream, can't we? ;)

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I think it will ne no warmer than the current one. The ssd helps a lot, and the processor will either be fine as is or throttled down to make it even more energy efficient and cooler.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I think it will ne no warmer than the current one. The ssd helps a lot, and the processor will either be fine as is or throttled down to make it even more energy efficient and cooler.

I agree with you, think it will be cooler if anything due to stepping etc.

parsifal56

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Overheating: I have a MBA 11.6

..and have had it since its release november 2010. There were no heating the first months, but with no change in usage or programs, the last few days it has all of a sudden started to get very warm. How can this happen - after almost 6 months of usage? Also, can I trust the software MacKeeper and smcFanControl? Thanks!

FOX160

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
To be honest i think this heat thing is just a big rumour myself.

my Daughter has been using my 2011 basic 13inch i5 MBPro
constant all day and evening over past Three days running at least
Two to Three applications at once and its only touch warm and its in a solid plastic casing.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
They will most likely be fine, just as the pros are. Hopefully the QC issues with thermal pasting are addressed.

There would be no issue if Llano APUs were used...

lysistrata

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
very hard to say. it seems to be the problem with new SB chips but actually the TDP is not much higher than C2D+320M.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Wait for ivy bridge if you care about heat. The ivy bridge chip will be smaller than the current sandy bridge and produce 20-30% less heat according to anandtech.

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

They could be. The increased efficiency could go to either higher clock speeds (a faster chip but same amount of heat) or to lower power usage (same speed but less hot). Or a split between the two. Probably Ivy Bridge will have an even more aggressive turboboost and be very cool when not under load but as hot when under load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.