Will the rMB be able to keep up with the next OSX release?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carrerascott, Apr 29, 2015.

1. carrerascott macrumors regular

If the new rMB is only about as fast as a couple year old MBA, will this bog down when Apple comes out with the next latest and greatest release of OSX?

Just wondering thoughts on it being underpowered will lead to it not keeping up with the times in the near future.

Not bashing as I have a 1.2/512SG here that I got from BB. Just pondering...

2. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I keep hearing that 10.11 will be an "optimization" release. I would think you are fine for at least a couple years.

3. junkw macrumors regular

OSX is super-fast on my 2009 MBP (6 years old laptop)

And according to Geekbench, the new Macbook is twice+ as powerful as my MBP.

4. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I think it'll be fine. The most common bottleneck on machines in the past was the amount of memory, and notice, they ship the rMB with 8GB RAM out of the gate, which is more than a 2015 base MBA.

On top of that, the actual OS itself isn't all that heavy anymore -- more graphically demanding, so that's something to consider, but actual base system functions aren't too demanding.

That said, after Mavericks and Yosemite, they really need to do an optimization and bug squashing year. Kind of like what they did with Snow Leopard.

So, never know, what comes next might run better than Yosemite on the same hardware...

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Seriously? I thought we were past this by now. The laptop is fully capable of almost anything you can throw at it. Do you really think Apple would release a laptop that can't handle a OS update 6 months later? People are running OS X 10.10 on 8 year old Macbook Air\Pro\iMacs... get over the notion that this isn't a fully capable computer.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

Given that Yosemite is supported all the way back to the Late 2008 MacBook, I think the 2015 version should be fine for some years to come.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This sums it up perfectly. I also think apple will cut back on the graphics. I am sure the last thing they want is the graphics cards to be the bottleneck. To be honest, I see 4gb of RAM being sufficient for the next several years.

8. newellj macrumors 601

Agree. Of all the risks with a computer you buy this year, this would be close to the bottom of the list.