Will The Sandy Bridge revision get SATAIII?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muscle Master, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Muscle Master, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Normally I find it pointless to upgrade laptops before a period of 2-3 years of purchase (Got Macbook Pro 13 on 10/12/10) but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse and ready to drop $2,500 on a 2.8 i7 MBP but that would be stupid...:rolleyes:

Considering we are patiently..:rolleyes: waiting for the sandy bridge revision within the next 3 months, And I just saw this

I am really loving my Vertex 2, the performance is crazy but I gotta say.. I am really stoked about the Vertex 3/OWC equivalent and was wondering will sandy bridge offer SATAIII cause like I said my next MBP is my last for 3 years.. well thats what I keep saying to myself..:rolleyes: but I want a completely maxed out system

On a side note, How much would you pay for my MBP in my sig.. SSD included with Microsoft 2011, Lojack premium for 1 year..

no osx install disk.. lost them (facepalm)

My budget is $2,500 for my MBP 15 and I would like to sell my MBP 13 and use the funds for a Hi capacity SSD:D although I am finding my 120 gig vertex 2 very useful for the capacity.. but is dwindling due to growing music collection.. from october my remaining space is 93 GB so I mite get a 240GB SSD and call it a day

2. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

huh? :confused:
    Cougar Point ( Sandy bridge chipset ) haz 2 x SATA III ports and if i'm not wrong 4 x SATA II ports

3. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I asked myself the same questions.. why all the sata ports, 2 SATAII ports should be tha limit

4. Brettla macrumors regular

The chips are there for it, I really hope Apple actually uses it, if they do I would actually think about buying a SSD to be able to use SATA 3.

5. Brettla macrumors regular

It's not just intended for Apple laptops, many companies will be using Sandy Bridge that use more than 2 ports, even some laptops can make use of 3 or 4

6. Tikkabhuna macrumors newbie

The chipset is also used in desktops which would want more than 2 ports.

Edit: Far too slow. :(

7. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Make sense

I hope so.. otherwise I'm just gonna get a 400GB OWC SSD and call it a day

8. Brettla macrumors regular

I've met a few people at the school I attend that have laptops with two 2.5" hard drive bays, with those it would be really nice to have the 2 SATA III ports and run some high end platter style drives or SSDs, then the SATA II for the optical drive and eSATA. So in that situation it would be quite easy to see where you could use 4 ports.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel wanted to go the easy and cheap way. 6-series chipset design is very close to 5-series, thus there are only two SATA 6Gb/s ports.

10. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf