Will the small updates we saw in fall delay a complete refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by powerbook911, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #1
    With the problems I have encountered with the new iMacs, I'd love to just buy a Mac Pro and new Cinema Display.

    However, it seems like a bad time, with the machines fairly old at this standpoint. On the other hand, weren't some of the upper configurations price reduced in the fall? Might that mean we won't see updates for some time yet?
     
  2. hwhalers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    #2
    The minor MP changes weren't so significant, and were probably reactions to the 27" i7 iMac in some ways matching the low-end Mac Pro for a lower price point. I think if anything the new iMacs will almost force Apple to refresh the MP in a significant way if it wants the product to remain significantly relevant.

    Personally, I'm betting that there will be a worthwhile new revision for late Q1/early Q2, and I'm delaying my MP purchase. Patience may be a virtue, but it's sure annoying :p.
     
  3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #3
    Yes, indeed. Thanks. If I can't get a decent iMac, I'm going to wait for a shiny, updated Mac Pro. The 3GB of RAM on the stock low end bites right now a bit too as you know you'll immediately have to put more in. I think an update will give a lot more value for the same money, so I'd hate to miss it.

    Thanks!
     
  4. hwhalers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    #4
    I know, for sure, as much as you do. Which is that Intel's releasing new 6-Core chips and that Apple usually has a new MP refresh around Q1. But everything is conjecture until something reliable happens.

    So, don't take me (or other people on the internet) too seriously. That was just my opinion :).
     
  5. Xeocon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2006
    #5
    I'm in the same boat. Just got my 2nd hand 23" Apple Cinema Display today (which is absolutely stunning by the way.) Now I'm just itching to purchase a Mac Pro so I can use the damn thing!

    I figured if I was to get the quad core Mac Pro I'd up the RAM to 6GB and put a 1TB hard-drive in there too along with the wireless airport.

    As powerbook says though, could potentially pay less for more within a couple of months instead.

    University doesn't start till late Feb, so it'll be interesting to see if I crack by then and pick up an 09. No promises ;)
     
  6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

    ildondeigiocchi

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Montreal
    #6
    I would strongly suggest a Mac Pro for you. Wait for the update. Apple may continue offering octocore models but at higher frequencies which to many like me will look tempting. 3.46GHZ octocore.... what a beast :eek:
     
  7. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #7
    Yep. I'd jump on a 6 Core Mac Pro. You'd leap over these iMacs I'm struggling with and not be tied to the yellow screens.

    Maybe I'll use this defective i5 iMac a couple weeks and then return to Amazon, perhaps by then Mac Pro release might be closer.
     

Share This Page