Will the SS have different functionality

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Mar 8, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

All this obsessing about price has got me thinking.

The Sport is IonX front, aluminium body, composite back, and rubber strap. The SS is sapphire front, steel body, ceramic back, leather or metal strap.

Are these differences enough to justify a big difference in price? If the actual watch is exactly the same, why spend twice as much?

So will the SS have better insides as well as better outsides?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I highly doubt Apple would want to fragment the market from day one. If the SS can run more apps than the Sport, has another sensor etc it will be a nightmare for developers.

Possibly, possibly there would be an exclusive watch face or something for the SS and Edition models, but even that I think is unlikely.

In answer to the question 'why spend twice as much?': for prestige, a status symbol, comfort, or just because you can.

Having said that, we still don't know the pricing. The SS may only be $150 more.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Same reason some luxury car makers charge $500-2000 extra for metallic paint or a special trim. It's the same car mechanically but some people are willing to pay more for the look they want.

4. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

True, but metallic paint doesn't double the price of the car. And people buying metallic paint usually get all kinds of extra goodies in the car, too. So it's not quite the same thing.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. At least when you are buying a BMW, Merc, Audi, or Porsche metallic paint option gets you just that nothing more.

Metallic paint doesn't double the price of the car, but my point is it's not an inexpensive option and it's an impulse decision, not a practical one. A flat white BMW 550i with XYZ options drives just the same, with the same creature comforts, as a Carbon Black one.

But if you want to keep it to watches an 18K Gold Rolex Submariner is 3x the price of a SS one, not because there is $10K worth of gold in the watch but because Rolex can demand the price and people pay because they want a gold Rolex, not a SS one.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

But could happen. It'd be a great marketing exclusive.

I also can imagine the possibility that the Edition could include a higher capacity battery, as another reward for paying its price.

As you said, anything that doesn't require extra developer effort is good.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yeah, some kind of exclusive software features are possible.

The higher capacity battery I don't see happening though. With the spotlight being heavily on the battery after the Moto 360's negative publicity and Cook saying we'll have to charge it every night, Apple are going to cram in every last mAh into the Apple Watch and not artificially limit it so the Edition can seem more premium.

Edit: Also, I forgot: the packaging. That could be another major differentiator without impacting the watch itself if the Edition's packaging is leather and wood and doubles as a stand as has been rumoured.

8. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I think that would have been the case only if Apple would have managed more then a day's battery life. Say, sport version 2 days battery life, edition 3 days battery life. With only 1 day battery life (more or less) Apple won't be shrinking the battery capacity of the lower cost versions.