Will the third generation come back next year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 24, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Once they discontinue the Ipad 2 and retina 9.7" can be sold at the same price wonder if they will bring the Ipad 3 line back in?

The other option is discontinue Ipad 2 and put Ipad 4 down to the price of Ipad 2.

Which will they do?

2. guyjol macrumors member

I don't think they'll put the iPad 3 or else they'll have a non lightning connector device in their line up

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

maybe Ipad 2 will have to stay another year then as I can't see them offering Ipad 4 for the price of Ipad 2..

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple will release the iPad 3 next year with a Lightning connector and faster processor, and they will call it the iPad 3.5 ;)

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Got an idea..discontinue both 3 and 4 in a years time or six months..

Call it Ipad Light (Ipad 3 with lightning no A6x OR 720p hd facetime) and bring in Ipad 5 ..so Ipad 4 would be discontinued.

:p

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

The only reason the iPad 2 stays is cause apple is milking the supply chain of the A5 processor and using it in both the iPad 2/iPad mini.

It's a pure profit move by apple.

No sense in keeping the iPad 3 with its more expensive retina display at a discounted price.

This is business 101 with the way apple's profit margins work.

7. guyjol macrumors member

Isn't that already the ipad 4?

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

The next budget tablets have to have retina though.

So Ipad mini 2 > A6 + retina
    New Ipad probably A6? Maybe A5X? Lighting probably but it might be a cross between Ipad 3 and 4 lol. :D

(Ipad 5 having A7 offcourse)

----------

They could drop the 720p and put A5X in it faster than Ipad 2 but put lightning in it..so basically 3.5 :confused:

9. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

It will be back on December 21. Just in time to heat you through the winter months.

10. Elwe macrumors member

Why not? With the exception of this "mid-cycle" refresh that some people are complaining about, Apple has done just that previously.

Let's assume for the moment that no refreshes will occur in the spring. So that the next drops are about this time next year. And let's say Apple continues charging for local storage the same way they do now (I know that is a sore point with people, but those willing to go 32GB or 64GB definitely seemed to be helping to "defray" the lowered-margin costs of those buying the base models). Given that, I could definitely see the some close variation below next fall:

-second generation iPad Mini (with an A6 proc)--$329
    -second generation iPad Mini (with A6 proc)--$299 (I think this is less likely, but they have made certain items like the current Macbook Airs pretty affordable compared to where they started out)
    -first generation iPad Mini--$249
    -fifth generation iPad (maybe lighter and thinner, but most of the same internals)--$499
    -fourth generation iPad (one base 16gb configuration until sold out)-$399