Will the Time Capsule work with PCs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marc55, Nov 3, 2013.

1. marc55, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We are planning on getting a MBP in the near future, and the Time Machine feature coupled with the Time Capsule looks great.

However, we have other wireless devices including a PC and TV, and would like to know if the Time Capsule unit is as easy to set up as a Netgear Router?

Also, is the Time Capsule easy to use as a storage device with our PC?

Thank you

Edit: Clairified Netgear "Router"

2. aham23 macrumors regular

the TM is not a modem so make sure you understand this.

i have limited experience, but my TM is working great with my PC as i transfer files over to it via my network. have no issues using its wifi with non apple products too.

3. marc55, Nov 3, 2013

marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thanks; for some reason I was thinking it was also a modem.

I was having a Forest Gump moment: Stupid is as stupid does.

EDIT: I meant to say a router, as I know the modem is provided by Comcast (for example)

4. priitv8, Nov 3, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can use TC as shared network drive for both Macs and PCs.
    You need to understand, that both file sharing and TM need to contend for available disk space and it will be the TM that will give up as soon as the space is out (it will automatically start deleting of old backups).
    To that end: you can add an external USB drive to the TC, share it on your network as well and use this as your shared data drive, leaving internal HDD purely for TM backups.
    You can't access the TC shared disk from your smart TV. For that you will need some NAS that also provides DLNA server functionality. TC is not one of them.
    My personal take is this: TC is perfect for TM backups only. For all sorts of file and media sharing on your mixed home network, you'll be better off with some NAS with broader functionality.
    Granted, TC is also a damn good 802.11n (now 802.11ac) wireless router, but that one you can also have without the built-in hard disk.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It is a router - so as long as you have a modem for your cable/DSL/whatever service, the TC would provide networking to all your Mac, Windoze, etc. machines.

The backup functions of the TC are Mac-only.

As other poster said, you "Can" share a disk with Windoze machines - but there are other products with more flexibility in that regard; I agree that TC is best as a backup device and not as a NAS. Just depends on what you want to accomplish.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I went from a TC to a Synology NAS. The Synology is an excellent cross-platform LAMP server that supports Time Machine and PC backup software plus much more.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

As many others here attest, time machine backups to a synology NASis unreliable, and you won't know it until you need your backup. They market very well, and is a good product if a NAS is what you need. It does not provide routing or wireless services for the casual user, so it does not suit the OP needs (routing functions can be set up but you need to know what you are doing).

The time capsule is an excellent router and wireless access point. We have a mix of several brands of devices and as a router with wireless device, it works better than any netgear or tendnet or linksys or buffalo or ASUS or D-Link we've used or owned. The storage capability is a plus for the typical home user. We save windose files and backups and apps to folders on the time capsule seamlessly.

You can go cheaper... but you do get what you pay for.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I only had a problem with my Synology when Apple updated AFP and breaking TM compatibility problems with 3rd party NAS's. That was fixed some time ago.

I've combined my Synology with an Apple Airport Extreme and it's an excellent match.

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

How many time have you had to restore or find a backup file? Did your TM backup image/folder ever get large enough to trip the automatic pruning function?

Just saying that there seems to be a false sense of security about third party Time Machine services. There seems to be hundreds of problems reported for every one that thinks things are going well.

I think folks should consider using something besides TM for backup to other than an apple approved device, like CCC or equivalent. Crashplan did not work for me as it has serious large file support problems.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Interesting. Crashplan+ has worked for me on every test restore that I've tried.

I believe in multiple independent backups, with multiple independent programs, all to multiple independent media. I am using:
    1. Time Machine to Time Capsules
    2. Crashplan+ to Crashplan Central
    3. CCC to a dedicated attached HDD
    4. CCC to a pair of HDDs rotated off site

I started with only #1 and #2. I have since expanded my backups. #1-#3 are all automatic. #4 is obviously manual... but it provides a second offsite backup.

As my use of Macs increased over the years... I continually bought more TCs. If I was starting over again, I would get a Mac Mini Server for the Time Machine backup destinations.

/Jim