Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SacMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
In anticipation of the TomTom Car Kit release (in the US) I'm beginning to wonder if this hardware device will work with other apps. Most notably other GPS Navigation apps.

I've been using G-Map for almost a year and it seems to do the job. And at $30 it's a third of the cost of the TomTom app.

I'm curious to know how the TomTom app utilizes the enhanced GPS receiver in their Car Kit. Is the information being fed through the port at the bottom of the phone or is it based on proximately to the rear of the iPhone when it's docked where there is no direct connection. If that's the case, I have little doubt the Car Kit would work with other apps. If however, the data is fed through the dock then I would question other apps ability to read that proprietary stream of data.

If you have any ideas on this please share. I'm trying to learn more about the integration of these two and if there are more opportunities for it's use.

I would be stoked at the prospect of buying the Car Kit for $100 and use my existing $30 Navigation software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.