Will the unlocked iPhone 7 & 7+ be available at launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by That70sGAdawg, Sep 5, 2016.

1. That70sGAdawg, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I only buy unlocked phones these days and have had to wait in the past for Apple to release the unlocked versions. Any word on this launch yet? I want to have it delivered on launch day to my home. They never seem to address it at the announcement presentation.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If everything goes like it did in the past the SIM Free version (which I assume you are referring to) will release a few months after launch.

You can however, buy full price any carrier model from Apple and because of that it will be unlocked.

The Verizon phone is unlocked period. Full price or not.

3. That70sGAdawg thread starter macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Yes, I know my carrier will unlock it later, but more value in a true Apple "unlocked" model...

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not talking about your carrier unlocking it.

If you buy your carrier model full price from the Apple store (not your carrier store) it will be unlocked out of the box. But you have to buy from the Apple store.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you pay full price from Apple it is unlocked. Or if you buy any phone from Verizon. Just look at the LTE bands on the different model numbers that come out and pay full price for the one for the carrier that has the most bands and you'll have the same phone as the Sim Free model that will come out a few months later.

6. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Wait about 2-4 weeks after launch. They came out early last year. The demand will be crazy, so be prepared. I would go with the T-Mobile version of the iPhone 7/7+ if I get one. T-Mobile's one is unlocked from the start.

7. alperduran217 macrumors member

alperduran217

Last year I bought T-Mobile version of 6S and It was unlocked. Now I'm going to buy T-Mobile version of iPhone 7. There is no difference between SIM-Free version and T-Mobile version except antenna bands.