Will the V1 iPhone Be Able to Utilize the New SDK/Apps From the App Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipodtouchy333, May 21, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Hey, I was wondering if I got a 16gb refurb, if the new apps and app store coming out in June will still work on the 1st iPhone. I am really considering the refurb because I don't even have 3g in my city and don't need GPS. But if the new apps and all those fun things won't work on the 1st version then I'll definitely wait. Thanks !

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, it will work, but once v2 comes out, second hand v1's will likely be much cheaper.

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

V1's won't even be made most likely.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

True, but the market value of them used would prolly take a decent hit.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

That is why I said "second hand".

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No. The first-gen iPhones will all be worthless once the 3G phone comes out because AT&T is shutting down the EDGE network. You will only be able to connect using 3G, meaning that if you're not in a 3G coverage area you won't even be able to get phone service.

Moreover, the iPhone's firmware is NOT updatable, contrary to what 15,000,000 posters have said on here. It works just like Mac OS works. If you buy 10.5.1, you can't upgrade to 10.5.2 or later unless you buy a new Mac.

8. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Forum Rules
    Instantly Bannable Offenses

<snip>
    9.Hoaxes. Purposely misleading other members to their detriment. Giving advice you know to be incorrect or harmful. Sensationalism :rolleyes:

Do you get a warranty with refurbs? Just thinking if you need that then refurb would be the way to go and not a second hand one, just something to consider.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Was the trail of sarcasm not dripping all the way to the door? :) I thought the original question was so darn crazy that I had quite the comeback. If someone believed the new Mac part, WOW.

10. ipodtouchy333 thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't know my question was SO CRAZY. My apologies. I'm sorry you felt the need to even post to such an outlandish question. That's why people on this site ask questions, because they don't know everything about one product and ask people here who know more than they do.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you get the full warranty of a new phone.... (1 yr?)

12. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Reminder, only if you activate it with AT&T or other valid carrier of the iPhone.