Will the verizon iphone 5 support 4g lte?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by THEDEAN911, Aug 2, 2011.

1. THEDEAN911 macrumors newbie

It makes sense that they would have the lastest cell network on their latest device, but a lot of new high end android phones are still running 3g like the Droid 3. I read a while back that apple won't put 4g connectivity if they can't get a single 3g/4g antenna, but they must of bought all those novatel patents for a reason.

Thoughts?

2. aneftp macrumors 601

You should google "HTC Thunderbolt battery with LTE" cough cough...my friend's LTE set is dead by 1pm on most days.

That's your answer to why Apple won't use LTE this year.

3. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

Most people think the delay of an iPhone 5 is from a new form factor and larger screen. But I think it's because Apple wants LTE and has been working to get the battery life up to par with the iPhone 4. I really hope it does have 4G. I don't need a bigger screen, but I really could use better data speeds.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I honestly doubt it. Look at what they did with the iPhone when it launched in 2007. It was still an EDGE phone. Apple believed that 3G was still too much of an infant technology to use reliably. We are only into the first year that we are seeing LTE, and that's just for a select few carriers right now(Verizon and several smaller regional carriers). AT&T will in all likelihood take the rest of 2011 and most of 2012 to build out LTE, and even then, radio technology needs to catch up to provide a more efficient system so your phone will last more than a few hours on LTE.

I will say, however, that it is downright impressive to watch Verizon fire up new sites for 4G LTE every two weeks or so. They got AT&T beat with little to no competition(an opinion, not fact).

5. aneftp macrumors 601

3G/UMTS WAS not new tech in 2007. UMTS in Europe has been around since late 90s/early 2000. UMTS for the USA has been around since 2004. I had full 3G in the Washington DC area with Cingular in early 2005.

The real reason Apple didn't put a 3G chip in the original 2007 iphone was this: iphone 2007 was really a limited launched to the US and a few other countries. If the project failed, apple would have just canned iphone all together. But iphone became a success. So in 2008, with absolutely zero R and D costs, all Apple did was put a GPS/3G chip in the same exact phone they launched in 2007.

3G/UMTS was a very mature technology back in 2007.

LTE is no a mature tech. Verizon just launched it less than 12 months ago.

6. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

No. For one reason.

If your phone isn't in an LTE area it has to fall back to 3G or EDGE (or their CDMA equivalents). Therefore you'll need 3G and EDGE radios in the phone as well. Qualcomm has not designed a chip that has all 3 in one. Apple would need to put in 2 chips, one for LTE the other for 3G and EDGE. Obviously, Apple is not willing to that as it would take up a ton of unnecessary space.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I don't see the next iPhone being LTE compatible for two reasons:

1. The network isn't large enough to build for.
    2. The battery life would suffer incredibly (much like every other LTE phone on the market today).

8. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I occasionally use 4G LTE on my iPhone 4, and love the speed... but I wouldn't want an LTE iPhone if it sacrifices battery efficiency.

9. aristobrat, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

aristobrat macrumors G5

Maybe Nokia had 3G/UMTS smartphone battery issues ironed out in Europe back in 2007, but in the US, carriers like AT&T were shipping extra batteries with 3G/UMTS devices (and owners were doing device software hacks to force the devices to stay on GSM/EDGE) in order to finagle enough battery life to last a day.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/Details.aspx?NewsId=19853

How did you get full 3G in DC in early 2005? The pressr shows that Cingular didn't light up 3G in DC until December of 2005.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=1493

10. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Read the last two comments those are the answer.

11. itsalexaye macrumors regular

i doubt that they will have 4G lte in the iphone 5

12. astral125 macrumors 6502

It will if you connect it to a 4g Mifi. Otherwise, no.

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Apple has bought or filed for many many many patents that they still don't use today. Not to entirely shoot down your reasoning, as 4G LTE matures, I'm sure it will eventually be baked into whatever hardware will be developed in a year or two. Just not this soon.

14. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    +1. Apple left out 3G to save money more than anything. Analysts believe it saved at least $50 in chips and licenses. More profit for Apple.

+1. In fact, being limited to EDGE caused a couple of problems: first, ATT had to waste months upgrading their EDGE network so that the iPhone wouldn't look insanely slow, and second, a good portion of the UK had no EDGE at all.

Not if it was a Verizon-only model, just as it is now. Many people do expect a convergence, though.

1. The Verizon LTE network reaches just as many people as the ATT 3G did when the iPhone 3G was launched.

2. Probably true.

A major difference with Europe was that ATT just plain didn't have enough towers. They had laid out their network for TDMA - 2G and their towers were not optimally placed for WCDMA - 3G.

Another was that ATT was sellling 3G phones with pitifully small batteries. Once you put in an extended battery, life was much better.

Remember that 2007 article showing that a 3G Blackjack (or similar) wouldn't last as the EDGE iPhone, and thus "proving" that Apple was right to leave out 3G? The huge technical reporting flaw was that the the Blackjack was using the stock small battery, which had about 1/3 less the capacity of the iPhone's battery or an extended battery. Guess what? Put in the extended and suddenly the 3G phone would've lasted just as long, if not longer.

16. haddman macrumors regular

That would be a nice surprise, but I don't expect it. You would think the unusual delay would be for something better than the usual better screen, more memory & camera upgrade, but who knows. Verizon is the only one with a good 4G network. Verizon LTE blows anything AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint currently offer out of the water, and already has a larger coverage area than all 3 of them...well it's about even with T-mobile now I think, and will surpass them by the end of the year. LTE in my area is faster than most cable internet speeds. I get 15mb-20mbps down at my house on their MiFi.

17. sammjordan macrumors member

I wouldn't expect it, most likely in iPhone 6 (or whatever they decide to call it). At this point LTE is eating through battery life too quickly for apple to pick it up

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

50/50, but probably not. Battery life is the biggie, as others have stated.