will the white bumper turn yellowish?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Jul 17, 2010.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I'm leaning towards the white bumper, but my concern is that it may turn yellowish over time. Does anyone know if this will be the case, for those who already have the white bumper or know otherwise?

2. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

My coworker has the white bumper since release and it is already looking A little dingy

3. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I doubt it only because the rubber part is kind of a light grey whereas the white part is more of a hard plastic. If you've seen the black bumper, you'll know what I mean.

But I don't own it so I can only guess. I totally want a white one though.

4. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You will more likely notice dirt and skin marks on it before you notice any yellowing. The former can be fixed with baking soda and you will likely sign a new contract for a new iPhone before your case turns yellow.

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It will most likely turn yellow/brown. It's rubber, right?

6. don pianta macrumors regular

i've had a white bumper since day 1 and it's already turning grey/brown from only being in my pocket. When i handle it, i dont usually grip it with my whole hand i just use my fingers, and i consider myself a clean person... so the white bumper is just a dirt magnet...

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

I remember when I had a white DS Lite, the outer shell was pristine. I expect the white iPhone 4 to be the same way. Less fingerprints it will show too. But my DS Lite's matte inside finish and shoulder buttons got dirty easily.

The glossy white doesn't turn yellow or get dirty. It will likely come from the rubber part.

If you get a white iPhone, I suggest getting a black bumper. Less feminine looking too for most of you guys. I do think the white bumpers do look nice even on a black iPhone 4, but I will likely keep my black bumper on my iPhone 4 for most of the duration of my contract. White is still a good alternative just to standout.

8. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Starting to wear

I got my white bumper two and a half weeks ago. I don't see how anyone got one on day 1 since only the black bumper was available on launch day.

Anyways, I just noticed a spot on the whiter hard plastic (rather than the grayer rubber trim) what looks like the finsh is rubbing off. I'm very careful with my phone, so seeing a spot of wear so soon is discouraging. If it gets worse, or the spot larger, I'll for sure want to exchange it, although doing that now with everyone trying to get a free one or refund, is going to be difficult.

I don't think this problem will be limited to the white bumper, in fact, as the finish wears off, the other colors may look worse. Has anyone else noticed this happening? I don't think yellowing will be a problem. I have a Belkin Grip Vue for my iPad and it's starting to yellow, but it's made out of a soft clear plastic.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Buy a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. Using a lint free microfiber cloth dampened with alcohol, wipe the bumper off once a week, or anytime it becomes heavily soiled. That will keep it looking good.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Drop your phone with bumper in a cup of bleach at night and it should stay nice and white.

11. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

That's not true, the black, white and blue ones were available at my store on launch day (Albeit there were very few of the latter two). And if you ordered it early online you would have gotten it within a few days of launch day.

12. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Rubbing alcohol doesn't work to well as it doesn't do a very good job of removing the discoloration from the finish and skin/dirt mixture. I've found that making a baking soda paste with water was the easiest way to clean the bumper without too much hassle.

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

This degrades the rubber and causes it to become brittle and chip very easily. Don't do this. :p

14. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Stay away from white! I have the griffin reveal and idk if it's similar material but it's all blueish white from the dye of my jeans. Looks disgusting, i will be switching to the free green or blue bumper.

15. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

No. It wont turn yellow. I have one and its the same material as the speck candyshell. It will not turn yellow.

16. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and the back part of it is dingy as heck!

17. bobright macrumors 601

Wow I wanted a white one really bad and it should be here in a day or so. Although now hearing this - they look like they been to hell and back after not even a month I'm undecided now. Maybe I should return it.