Will the white iPhone 4 have reception issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vick77, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

Hi, about a year ago I changed my iPhone 3G for a blackberry bold 9700. As it turns out, it was a complete mistake. I'm looking at paying off my contract just to get an iPhone again.

The problem is, I'm waiting for the white version and I was wondering if Apple will have resolved the reception issues by the time it comes out. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

V

2. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

3. 0007776 Suspended

I'm pretty sure that it will still have the problem, unless Apple decides to introduce a CDMA/GSM phone at the same time, otherwise they won't have an excuse to redesign the antenna without admitting that it is a bigger problem than they say it is.

4. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

I'm happy somebody can at least give me a helpful answer, thanks mrkramer. I see what you're saying, in that case I doubt it will be resolved. sighs.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

none of us have a White iPhone 4 and none of us work for Apple, how do you expect people to answer you honestly?

No one knows.

(No one here has an Official White iPhone 4, and if someone here on the board does work for Apple, they can not post any info)
    just to clarify in advance

6. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't asking for a factual answer straight from Apple, I was asking what are everybody's thoughts on the matter. Nevermind.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

my thoughts are that it will be the exact same design as the current black iPhone 4, so it will be susceptible to the same issues (or non issue, depends who you ask)

8. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

yeh I guess you're right. I'm not a fan of the bumpers covering up the design, hopefully it won't be too bad. It'll be better than a blackberry anyways.

I appreciate the responses, thanks.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Respectfully, nobody here can possibly know anything beyond speculation; anyone who really knows anything is under NDA and won't reveal what they know. Asking a question of this nature is unlikely to yield useful answers.

With that said, my view is the issue is overblown. Sure it affects some people, primarily it seems to be those who use the phone in marginal reception areas and don't use a case with it. If you're in an area with solid signal (I don't know the UK coverage) and/or would likely use a case anyway (and there are good cases that protect the back with little bulk), then even with the current design I suspect you wouldn't encounter the issue. If I really, really try, I can make the signal bars drop down. Yet I've never experienced call drops or data slowdown in normal usage any different from the 3GS or Blackberry 9700 I owned previously.

Best recommendation if you're set on waiting for the white version is to let it come out, see what peoples experiences are, and then have a backup plan to return yours if you get it and find it doesn't work for you as you need it to do.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

One other thing: do you know for a fact that you're going to have a problem? Not everyone does. In fact, quite a few people (including myself) are reporting equal or even better performance.

It looks like it depends on where you are. If you're in a decent signal area, you won't have any problems. If you're in a fringe area, well guess what?

The signal issues aren't universal, and return rates on the iPhone 4 have been low from the start and continue to be low.... low enough for Apple to claim that the iPhone 4 doesn't have a reception issue. People have to be keeping these phones for some reason....

By the way: I think it's getting to be a little late for the white iPhone 4. I suspect we may never see it. Maybe on the iPhone 5.

11. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

Yeh I'm starting to think that it was a small number of people with reception issues who made a lot of noise about it, because I'm seeing iPhone 4 users at least 20 times a day.

I'm in the centre of a large city most of the time so the chances are I won't encounter any problems.

With regards to never seeing the iPhone in white, I was in vodafone a couple of days ago and the guy in there told me he's quite certain it'll be within the next month and if not, most likely due for release this side of Christmas, and that was reiterated to me by the guy in the Apple store.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your first sentence pretty much summarizes what happened.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Reception issues on a non-existent phone?

Well....it depends.

14. Lauting macrumors member

I've had my iPhone 4 for a week now and not had any issues, was waiting for the white one and got fed up.

Over the moon with my purchase, really really happy and its lighting quick, thats compared to my 3G that i had for a 2.5 years but still everything is really snappy and not had a single problem with signal or proximity sensor.

No issues with the phone at all, loving it.

:D

15. jcole31 macrumors regular

Actually they do have an excuse for a redesign. They claim the reason for the white phone delay is "manufacturing issues". Those "manufacturing issues" can be whatever they want them to be. Since the white phone has never been released, they could very well claim that a completely different manufacturing process is needed to make the white iPhone and slightly change the antennae while keeping it looking visually the same. As far as I know, a coating over the antennae would not require a new FCC certification.

Any thing is possible when they are being as incredibly quiet about the white iPhone as they are.