Will the white iPhone affect iPhone 5 shipment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joelobrien, Mar 16, 2011.

1. joelobrien macrumors newbie

Considering the recent post on MacRumors about the white iPhone, I have just a few questions:

What is the likely-hood of the white iPhone's launch affecting the iPhone 5 shipment?

It seems to me that if Apple does launch the new iPhone 5 so soon after the white iPhone 4, they will be dealing with quite a few unhappy customers. Needless-to-say, it is definitely a good tactic as far as sales go, but Apple usually strives for customer satisfaction. Why set themselves up for this? I understand that it is the consumer's decision whether or not to buy, so I'm just conjecturing here. ;)

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No one knows for sure, but most likely not. Apple will need to announce iPhone 5 this June to stay on top of the competition, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

[ ] yes

[ ] no

[ ] maybe

I'm going for no, but who really knows?

4. mach macrumors regular

Remember, Phil Schiller's post never specifically mentioned the iPhone 4, it just says the "white iPhone" is coming "this spring". Spring officially ends on June 21, and historically iPhones have launched in early to mid June, so marketing-wise at least, early June qualifies as Spring.

The "White iPhone" is likely iPhone 5, which will launch in early June, possibly with a white option for the 4 coming as well when it becomes the lower-end model.

5. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

just for you, YES. Because this was a dumb question to begin with, considering they have different factories and different schedules for each hardware they have put together, YES. For you, the iphone 5 will be pushed back months. Apple will market an old iphone 4, painted white, for a few more months just so they can delay the iphone 5, which infinitely more people will buy. Yes, it will be delayed. :rolleyes:

Amazed at the questions posted here... :eek:

6. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

You must be new then! :cool:

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Likely none. The 2011 iphone won't have a redesign, with the exception of the antenna. The spring release of the white iphone will reflect this antenna change.
    The summer release will likely be more evolutionary than revolutionary: faster speed and other incremental changes.
    There will be the usual halt in production to bring about any changes, as usual. This time Jobs, or whoever, will be able to say the white iphone is available alongside the black iphone.
    Just in case you haven't figured this out, this is all speculation on my part. :rolleyes:

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

agreed, if the iPhone 5 is to have an identical design then it clearly isnt affecting Apple in a harmful way by making the white iPhone 4.