will the wi-fi be upgraded to 'n' in Hardware ver.2.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guruji, Apr 8, 2008.

1. guruji macrumors member

Hello,

Does anyone know for sure (links to articles and news clippings)? whether the wifi be upgraded to 802.11'n' in iphone Hardware ver.2. ????

if yes, :)....

2. Templex macrumors regular

No one knows for sure, but probably not, because there's no point in including it.

3. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I don't know about that. If you set your network to 802.11n only so you can get the full benefit of a wideband, and you only have the one base station, then you can't get any access on your iPhone without having some 802.11g equipment to give your network 'legacy support', if you will.

Not being sure what the prices are like on 802.11n networking cards that compact, but I'd guess no. If however they're the same sort of price then I'm sure Apple will just put it in, there'd be no reason not to.

4. guruji thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i meant 802.11b/g/n .... to make it future proof.

5. dsl4c macrumors member

I dont really see the benefit of adding N wireless just yet, as the iPhones processor doesn't really have enough speed to fully utilize the benefit of N.. however; new iPhone processor, longer range N, and large download storage would rock!

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I also would like to know when the iPhone's processor will be upgraded to the same one as the Macbook Air's, you know, to make it future proof.

:p

Okay, reality check, how much data throughput do you think a device like the iPhone needs/can possibly handle? The concept of 'N' wireless also requires that the device has more than 1 antenna so that it can run on multiple frequencies for max speed. Not only will it waste space and battery, it's totally useless, what will you do with the additional 100 to 300% actual speed increase potential? 30mb/s to an iPhone? Not even the :apple:TV handles that.

Would you sacrifice a little extra wireless range for a whole lot less battery?

7. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

that would be awesome, but I doubt it will happen in THIS revision...

8. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

No need for N on the iPhone... No intense graphic gaming, or transferring large files over the network on the iPhone... N would just drain the battery on a device that is already going to be battery-drained from 3G and anything else they MAY put in it (a2dp, gps, etc.)

(Wishful thinking hehe)

9. wizard macrumors 68040

It will happen one day for sure.

The question is will it happen in the next revision? I don't think so at least not in the current form factor. There are two issues to consider:

One; where do you put the required antennas? Two; how do you address increased battery drain? The problem is that the current form factor is a bit crowded to say the least. Now give us a Touch based device that is a bit larger, say somewhere between 5 and 7 inches and we have a whole different story. We now have room for a big battery, and multiple antennas.

As a side note I'm not sure Apple even tries to max out the current radio. Has anyone checked to see if transfer rates are throttled on purpose to conserve battery life?

Dave

10. crayonshin macrumors member

some of you are still missing the point, even after J@ffa has explained the benefit. the throughput of the iPhone via wifi is irrelevant. say you only have one N router and that router only has one radio (AEBS, Time Capsule). i for one have my AEBS set to 5GHz N only to give my MBP maximum throughput. if i want to put my iPhone on my network i would have to set it to N AND G. so then, whenever the iPhone is transmitting/receiving via wifi, my MBP would drop down to G speeds as well. not ideal. i have my old Airport Express bridged to my AEBS to get around this but it would be nice if the iPhone had N networking so i would not have to do this.

11. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I agree that a benefit of 802.11n on the iPhone is making it unnecessary to cause a router to shift down to 802.11g. That in and of itself doesn't make it a logical step for Apple to take. First, not all consumers would benefit from this let alone care about the perceived performance increase. And secondly, Apple needs to balance the other requirements of the phone against power consumption and space.

I believe that given the opportunity to pack more components or make use of any power surplus resulting from more efficient displays (OLED) into the iPhone Apple would choose to pack in more RAM into it rather than either 802.11n (or GPS which has also been speculated about it). The reason for this is that for the iPhone to successfully supplant the iPod it would have to reach the 32 gig sweet spot. Increasing RAM is also necessary as Apple continues to position this device for video. And increasing RAM is important to hold all the apps that 2.0 will usher in.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

There's no real reason to upgrade it to 802.11n. I can't think of anything on the iPhone that would utilize a faster WiFi connection. You can't transfer stuff from a PC wirelessly, and most broadband Internet connections don't even hit 10Mbps. If what people say about 802.11n using more battery is true, don't count on it with the addition of 3G.

Also don't forget that 802.11n is still a draft specification. Every time I try to use my MacBook Pro via WiFi at home, I am reminded painfully of this.

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

It would KILL the battery but make it the ultimate browsing device (3G and N-wireless)

but its a waste of apples time for time being/

14. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I'm surprised at how many responses were to the question of "do you think wireless N would help the iphone?" and not to the actual comment of "it sucks that because the iphone is wireless G it downgrades the rest of my network to G speeds when every other device on the network can operate at N speeds"

I was actually thinking about this earlier this week because I was going to upgrade my router but then figured that my iPhone would just bump everything back down to G speeds. I'm wondering if the downgrade to G speeds would only happen when the iphone was active (not in sleep mode or whateveR) or if it was a constant thing.