Will their be an iPhone update for Leopard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GTiPhone, Oct 24, 2007.

1. GTiPhone macrumors regular

With Leopard upon us and some people already beginning to use it, is an iPhone update imminent? At one point most people were convinced a HUGE update would accompany Leopard, but it seems most speculation on this has dwindled.

Is it because it appears clear that Apple has little to no interest in even addressing iPhone again until February (when SDK makes its way out)?

Some would figure simple things like Notes and ToDos in Leopard's Mail would make their way to iPhone without question. However, we are still missing key OS 9 and earlier functions/features that haven't been address yet, so there is no reason to think that any new desktop features would be showing up in mobile form.

If there are no feature enhancements at this time to iPhone (which I personally think is just a tremendous failure), then would their at least be a compatibility upgrade?

Considering every new Mac in use all over the world would be upgrading to a new operating system, it is fair to say that their other "OS X" based product would improve along with it. Its a dramatic improvement, Leopard, and for the iPhone to see no change is just sad.

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

I think it's more likely that there'd be an update right before the Europe launches.

Or if Apple doesn't want to make Europe customers update right at activation, then a 1.1.2 update will come out a week or two after Europe's launch.

Remember that Apple sells the iPhone as Mac AND Windows compatible, so they may be reluctant to put out Mac only features unless they can provide similar functionality to people on that other OS. :)

3. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think if we are going to see an update for Leopard it will be tonight or tomorrow. Apple knows a lot of people will be installing Leopard on Friday and throughout the weekend so it would make sense to me for any possible update to come before people are messing with their new OS. Being Wed. afternoon already I find it highly unlikely we are going to get anything. Like I originally though back in July, those inside sources saying there was a big update with Leopard are most likely BS.

I don't think that is true. Sure Windows users might want that to be the case but I am pretty sure if Apple has some cool feature for Mac only they wouldn't hesitate to release it. They might add in one or two small bug fixes as well to give Windows users a reason to dl it, but that's it. Not everything Apple makes for Windows and Mac is the same... just look at iTunes. Windows users are on 7.4.3 while Mac users still have 7.4.2. If there is anything new, it will be released.

4. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Why not?

I think the question is: if you update to 1.1.2 will it still be unlocked/unlockable. I guess we'll see.

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I think there will be an update .. and while all iphones will have the same amount of programs and other things ... a few things will be better syncd with a computer if you have a mac ... like to-dos and that kind of stuff .... (just IMO)

7. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

i was really wondering, if, apple will force leopard users to update their iPhones, otherwise no syncing??

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I know, why would Apple do that?

It would put some people off updating to Leopard. Counterproductive.

9. tny macrumors 6502

There are NO "key" OS 9 functions or features missing from OS X. Just because there are functions you miss from OS 9, that doesn't make them "key". Does the OS do everything an OS is supposed to do? Yes. So there you have it.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Because you're not giving your money to them and AT&T for service...

11. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I said this in another thread, but it applies here as well:
    "

Yea right...I'll tell you EXACTLY what happened.

Because of the note synching coming with Leopard, Apple would have had to have dropped a iPhone update this week (without question). This was the plan, UP TO the point when the 1.1.1 firmware got unequivocally hacked to the point where you can now do everything you could do on it as you could on a 1.0.2 iPhone. This pissed Apple off, and they didn't want to release a firmware this week that would be vulnerable to the TIFF exploit the 1.1.1 Jailbreak uses (plus, they don't like our "illegal" 3rd party apps). Therefore, they chose to delay (I am sure of this...we will see the feature, it's a matter of time), instead of releasing a firmware upgrade that allows notes synching and probably throws in some other goodies too.

Basically, they want to keep you tied down to a firmware they KNOW to be unhackable (at least for the time being). And a 1.1.2 update based on 1.1.1 firmware with known exploit opportunities is out of the question."

So, no, there will not be another firmware update coming out in the short term (by this Friday).

12. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

We'll see. You have a weird view of Apple if you ask me.

13. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I'd imagine that if you upgrade to Leopard, certain features will not be available without an iPhone upgrade. (Notes, ToDos, etc..)