Will there actually be phones in stores on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NJPitcher, Jun 19, 2010.

1. NJPitcher macrumors regular

Maybe a misleading thread title, I really want to know if there will be phones for sale for people who didn't preorder. I haven't preordered one yet, though I plan on doing the pre-registration either tonight or tomorrow. My plan was to camp out at the local apple store circa 4am hoping to be one of the lucky few who could just buy the phones apple would have in stock assuming they exist, though now I'm wondering if I've made a false assumption. Given the canceled orders and the ridiculous delay on new preorders, will apple actually have any phones for sale in the store on the 24th? If so, how early do people generally line up for these things (aside from the dude in TX)? I've never done a pre-launch line (actually I did the ipod mini line, go figure) so I'm not sure what to expect...

2. stevegm macrumors member

Yes, I believe there will be phones for walk-ins. However, the lines for them might be pretty long. I'd get there early. But, I do believe that they will have some. I have no idea what early is though. I believe it depends on the store.

3. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

They do have phones for walk-ins but reservation comes first. You have to ask your local Apple store since they all organize it a bit different so you wont get a definite answer here.

4. stevegm macrumors member

An Apple store employee told me today that they set the reserved units aside separate from the "extra" ones they get for walk-ins. So, they can go ahead and sell walk-in units at the same time they are helping people that reserved them buy theirs, it seems. But, when the reserved units are sold out, they are sold out.

5. xcman922 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, the three stores I called in Massachusetts assured me there would be iPhones for walk-ins, but the supply would be extremely limited and that I would have to arrive crazy early to have any hope of getting one. As one very nice Apple employee put it to me, "We don't have any idea how many will be available. It could be 5, it could be 100...we just don't know."

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There will be units available for walk-ins. I don't know specifically about the iPhone, but I saw many people getting their iPads without a reservation on launch day. I had reserved mine, so no big deal to me. Either way, I'm probably going to drive to Best Buy the night before and start waiting. I loaded my MBP and iPad with movies lol.

7. NJPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, very helpful all! Do you guys recommend an apple store, or is best buy/some other 3rd party store a better bet? And what time should I show up if I want a realistic chance of getting one?

8. JTA60288 macrumors member

I would go to the Apple Store, just for the experience. But that's just me. :p Any place would be good. I would go to the Best Buy that's in walking distance from my house, but I have to go to the Apple Store because I want to redeem my gift card. There were no more reservations, so I have to get there early and hope that there will be some units for walk-ins.

9. mytran80 macrumors regular

I didnt know you can even reserve an iPhone 4 , they were only preorders

10. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

There should be plenty at local Apple Stores.

People forget the original iPhone. No pre-orders/reservations and tons of hype...I know my local Apple store had plenty for everybody, as long as you were willing to wait in line

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Will there be phones for those that did not "reserve"? Yes, at least at Apple Stores.

Will it be worth the effort to try and get one? Probably not unless you really have nothing else to do in your life. Remember you'll never get those hours back and you'll barely even remember your iP4 6 years from now.

12. The Gary macrumors newbie

no hope at Best Buy

My Best Buy in Dallas said all iphone 4's will go to preorders only. no need to wait in line. They charged $50 each to preorder one to be applied to price when you pick it up. They are calling us to set appointments to pick up.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Of course there is a slight difference between then and now. The people in line for the original iPhone were early adopters willing to spend $499/599 for a contract phone. Apple sold, what 300K that week.

Flash forward to this week. Apple sold 600K in a day. The iPhone is mainstream now, subsidized, and you have multiple generations of iPhone owners who want to upgrade to the iP4. You also have about 50 more Apple Stores now than in 2007.

So while, I think Apple will have a token amount of phones for "walk in," I don't think they will be as plentiful as in '07.

14. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

That makes sense to me. Bravo to BB in Dallas.

If people pre-ordered, but didn't make the launch date delivery, they should be entitled to the available supply in stores on the launch date, in my opinion.

I guess that instead, a lot of people will be camping out and canceling their late-arrival pre-orders if they're able to get them in-store.

15. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yes, but the original iPhone didn't sell 600,000 two weeks before launch as well as two additional rounds of pre-orders after that 600,000. This will be the largest iPhone launch to date (or largest for any phone period).

16. jamabam macrumors newbie

Anybody know what the deal is for AT&T stores?

17. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Great point, forgot how much lower original iPhone sales were compared to iPhone 4

18. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Well said, Thursday day should be interesting

Thoughts on what time the At&t activation servers crash? I say 10:30 est. Going to be an ugly day

19. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I was told they will have some for first come first serve customers. This is in Jacksonville

20. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

False. You had the choice to reserve one or pre-order one.

21. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Open at 7? Down by 8:30 AM. 10 AM at the latest.

22. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Yes, there will definitely be iPhones available for over the counter sales to those customers that do not have a reservation or pre-order.

It's important to remember that Apples Stores are all company owned, not franchises. As a result they have the same set of policies and procedures. They are all operated in exactly the same manner. Each store will have an inventory of iPhone 4 models to sell upon opening. The only variable from store to store is how many they have. This is not controlled by the store manager, but by Apple. Each market was surveyed, Apple decided how many units each store should get, based on their past sales history and expected demand for the new model.

Therefore, if you arrive early enough, you will be able to purchase a new iPhone. The only challenge is deciding how early to arrive. Past history reveals long lines form very early, and of course vary by city.