Will there be a 15" macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nolamac504, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nolamac504 macrumors newbie

I have an '07 15" MacBook Pro. She's still chugging along but the writings on the wall, I'm going to need to replace her soon. I probably don't need another MacBook Pro but I love the 15" size. I've read rumors that Apple was coming out with a 15" MacBook or 15" MacBook Air. Do you think that is still true? I so hope so!! Thank you for any info and replies.

2. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

3. HardBall macrumors regular

Exactly; If anything a 13" would be on the table; there are very few ultra-books that are 15" anyways. And the rMB is a class lighter than even those, I don't think there would be an appetite for a 15" notebook that is not directed toward performance/professional/desktop-replacement use any more. 15" is simply too big for the vast majority of the people, and the dimensions alone would largely defeat the portability aspect of such laptops.

I could see the rMB eventually split into 13" and 11.6" variants though, enough for differentiation, but both light enough and have enough screen real-estate to work well for the bulk of the population.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Hope Apple does not stop making the 15" MBPro. I can see them thinning it down and getting rid of all the ports but a 15" screen is perfect for those who do not own a desktop.

The "vast majority" of users may not want a 15" but there are many who do. Not all of us are willing to give up so much for the sake of a tiny 12" screen

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Normally, I'd say no, because there's too much product overlap, but lately, I wouldn't be surprised.
    I mean we already have two 13" laptops, why not a 15"?

6. Nolamac504 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everybody for the replies.Not the answers I was hoping for but thank you. I totally get the portability thing but I really wish they would offer a less expensive 15'. Besides everything you use a laptop for, the 15' is perfect to use as a little portable tv; it can go anywhere and the screen size is decent enouh you can be sitting a few feet from it and see everything fine. I use it as my little kitchen tv, its perfect for when you do the dishes, clean or have to stir something for an hour. I guess I'm going to learn to like the 13' but I swore I read that they were coming out with a macbook/macbook air 15"! Again thanks so much for the replies.

7. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I said years ago a 15" air would rock. I love the 15 screen on my macbook pro, but I would LOVE a 15" macbook with two usb-c ports.

It would make so much sense, would have a huge battery and more surface area to dissipate heat. M5 processor and 16 GB of RAM, 256 or 512 SSD. Take my money.....

For me, the 12 inch screen is a deal breaker or else I would already have a macbook.

8. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

One thing to realize is that they are getting better and better at making the form factors lighter and thinner so compared to a 10 year old 15" MBP whatever they do next will be like a virtual 15" Air. It will be thinner and lighter and more tapered than your 10 year old design. Will that make a 15" MacBook? I would think not. The 15" has really become the professional workhorse model much as the 17" was.