Will There Be a Class Distinction Between nMP & cMP Owners?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cinealta, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cinealta macrumors 6502

This is more of a sociological, rather than technical, phenomenon. Do you think the Mac Pro community will split among nMP owners & cMP (1,1 to 5,1) owners? Will nMP become elitist and look "down" upon cMP owners?

I've been a Mac user for a long time and for the first time, IMO, the nMP seems to be like a prestige product (eg Porsche, Rolex etc) whereas previous Macs were pedestrian in their utility (eg SUVs). I hope our community does not split into the haves and have nots.

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

It has already happened. Here's a nice quote from a user named 'arbitrage':

3. riggles macrumors 6502

4. echoout macrumors 6502a

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Maybe, to continue the car analogy, "luxury" rather than "prestigious."

The OP's question is interesting, though, especially when it's going to play out on a site where nobody can check up on who's got what basis for saying anything.

I'm looking forward to it. Get it on!

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

There has always been a distinction. Those who have class and those who don't (and will never have, no matter how much "income they can generate in 2 days")

7. anedwar macrumors newbie

Nah. It won't split over the halves and the have nots. It will / has split over do you think the nMP sucks or not.

We were united in our desire to have a new Mac Pro. Now that we have it we can split into our camps of 'for' or 'against'.

The new Mac Pro is divisive because its a heavy handed bet that most "professional" workflows will benefit more from GPU power than CPU power. If that fits your work then you win (for now).

I for one will go back to lurking with my popcorn and enjoying my new and old Mac pro. :)

8. echoout macrumors 6502a

A "luxurious" computer then? How silly.

9. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

nah.. the mp1 was sweet too.. it carried that same sort of pizazz (or whatever)

another year or two and none of this matters anyway.

(not that it even matters now ;) )

10. Spinland macrumors 6502

Spinland

Heh. That particular distinction seems to become rather clear once you've seen more than a couple of posts from any given user here. :cool:

11. motegi macrumors regular

12. echoout macrumors 6502a

Word from the nMP plant here in Austin is they've teamed up with some third party vendors for the accessories that'll ship with each one.

13. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

So true. I think that my Craftsmen wrench set is really cool, until I get snubbed by someone with a Snap-On wrench set.

"My tools are shinier than your tools" - such a sad contest. Use the tools that work for you - let others judge you on your work, not on the tools that you used to create it.

And the OP mentioned "Rolex". I have several fine, elegant Swiss watches (Rado, Baume&Mercier, Tissot) - and I wouldn't for a moment consider trading any of them for a tacky, gaudy, ostentatious Rolex.

14. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

what's with that mx revolution charger? looks like it's just melted or something

[edit] lol.. apparently it's ostrich skin.

15. echoout macrumors 6502a

Ooh la la!!!

----------

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!! "Work"?

16. goMac macrumors 603

Just remember, whatever arguments we have about the nMP vs. the cMP, we're both still better than the guys over in the PowerPC forum using G5s.

(This is a joke... A JOKE!)

17. mpantone macrumors 6502

Save your breath. The kids here don't understand the difference between Rolex and a real timepiece.

18. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

scarlett johansson is a dimepiece

(srry- i watched don jon last night)

19. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The kids wouldn't even know how to pronounce "Rado", "Baume & Mercier" and "Tissot".... ;)

20. ZnU macrumors regular

This. Maybe a few people will buy them as status symbols, but they're not even very good for that. At least with a Rolex, a phone, a laptop or a luxury car you can show the thing off in public; not so much with a desktop computer.

The vast majority of Mac Pro customers will buy this machine because they have important work to do, and it will help them do it.

21. mpantone macrumors 6502

Don't get me started: half the kids on the Internet abbreviate "et cetera" as "ect".

Heck, they probably think Tag Heuer is a given name followed by surname.

:D

22. echoout macrumors 6502a

The nMP won't be the fastest or most expensive, but DAAAAAMN it's luxurious. Makes using Facebook SOOOO comfy.

23. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

How did my comment about people complaining about the price have anything to do with cMP users? The cMP was just as expensive as the nMP? Get a job and you will be able to afford it too.

24. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain