Will there be a GPU refresh in 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neera, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Neera macrumors newbie

Dear all,
    I would like to know if there is any clue that would hint at a refresh of the Retina MacBook Pro 15" before the end of the year.
    I find it very strange that the GPU has been left the same GT750M from last year. Only from nVIDIA we already have the 8xx and 9xx series and, following Retina iMac, there could be R9 from AMD.

I understand that they are waiting for next processor from Intel but I would like not to spend almost 3k € / $ for a machine which, although amazing, has a two generation old GPU on it ...

Is there any reason for this beside economical practicality for APL?
    I was expecting at least the GT850 in the july upgrade, but it did not come ...

Thanks for your feedback
    N.

2. puke macrumors regular

Hello,

No, they won't upgrade the GPU in 2014.

//

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's true that the last refresh including only a GT750M was weird, however I don't think there will be another refresh by the end of this year. Apple only does around 2 refreshes per year per Mac product line at best, and they'll usually upgrade the CPU as well, not just the GPU. I think they'll wait untill the Intel Broadwell CPUs are out to upgrade the MBP's GPU at the same time. So probably early next year. WWDC 2015 (June) at most.

4. Neera thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, what do you think is the reason?
    And ... is it a good idea to buy anyway? I do not do much gaming on the computer so if the 750 is and amazing card then it will do the job. Just to know because I would like to buy on black friday :p

5. puke macrumors regular

Probably temperatures.

It is a good card, it works well with gaming, but it's not a high-end card. It's a very capable machine. :)

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not going to happen.

Any updates are about 8 to 12 months away.

7. mcarling macrumors 65816

The last vestige of the discrete GPU will almost certainly be dropped from the MacBook Pro line with either Broadwell or Skylake, so if you prefer your GPU to be discrete rather than integrated, now would be a good time to buy.

8. afmbp macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if its safe/ good idea to download the new Yosemite update on my Macbook Pro 2011 which has recently started to suffer from graphics card failure?

The problem is especially evident at the start up, generally my mac will shut down when asleep and when I attempt a normal startup I will get a pink screen.

I have found that this can only be resolved by attempting multiple different startups (verbose, sing user reboot, NVPRAM, SMRC...) until it switches on again to a blue/ grey scree.

Do you think I should attempt to download Yosemite? or will it only cause further problems....

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Don't post in multiple unrelated threads

Firstly posting this in multiple unrelated threads will only get you reprimanded or barred by the moderators don't do it's annoying.

Secondly your problem sounds like radeon gate and your GPU is fried, downloading Yosemite won't do any harm that I can see, yours is strictly a hardware issue. On the other hand it won't do you any good either.
    However your Mac may well give up the ghost at any point so I'd make sure you have a back up of everything you need to keep before you download a new OS to a computer who's life is probably limited to days or weeks.

10. afmbp macrumors newbie

Thanks! sorry... will keep that in mind.

Do you know if there is a solution to the GPU failure? Most likely will have to change the logic boar? Are there any tests I can run to check if it is the GPU thats fried or another problem?

Also would be really helpful if you had any short term solutions since I am abroad and wont be able to take it in to an apple store for a week.

11. Samuelsan2001, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well apple will just use a refurbished board

Unfortunately apple will charge you for a new logic board, it will be refurbished and will in all liklelihood fail again within the year anecdotal evidence says 6-9 months (only comes with a 90 day warranty too.)

There are numerous places offering to reball the GPU with leaded solder this will fix the issue, and I spotted in another thread someone who found a place that will both reball and replace with a 2012 GPU.

However as far as i know there really is nothing else you can do, i would get a back up done as quickly as you can.

Short of getting it checked by a computer repair place I don't know how to diagnose it, there are others on here with in depth knowledge of this issue and hopefully they will chime in. I am assuming you have a 2011 15 inch macbook pro with the AMD GPU??? If so then it is almost certain.

Read this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1800490