Will there be a Macbook Pro late 2015 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by promac7, Jul 9, 2015.

1. promac7, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

promac7 macrumors newbie

Hello World,

I am contemplating purchasing my first MacBook and I've always been a fan of the Pros.

My question is, with the release of the new Macbook, will there be a Macbook pro Late 2015 with features worth waiting for?

And do people have STRONG opinions on whether the Macbook Pro 2015 is a better work horse compared to the Macbook. Why would one choose one over the other? Here in Canada they are the same price.

Please advice

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Please advice. Much give.

I'm waiting for Skylake so then I can post from my Skylake computer about how I am waiting for Krabbypattylake and then waiting until I die and have my soul reincarnated into a torx T6 screwdriver bit where I will forever be used to repair laptops.

In all seriousness, they were very recently updated, and they're nice machines. If you need or want a computer now, get one now. If not, wait. It's simplicity at its finest.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 13" and 15" retina MacBook pros were both updated recently. They most likely won't be updated until early next year.

Of course people have strong opinions about things. We're on the internet here.

Anyway, the MacBook Pro has a much more powerful CPU and GPU. I don't think anyone is debating this.

5. Skullbussa macrumors member

Skylake is set to release in August with mobile processors available shortly thereafter. Apple has historically been at the absolute fore-front of any new major Intel CPU release in its laptops - meaning that they are typically among the first to have the latest/greatest CPUs in their MacBooks.

You can absolutely count on there being a Winter MacBook Pro refresh with Skylake. It is absolutely a TERRIBLE time to buy a Macbook so yes, you should wait. The jump in energy efficiency and performance is substantial. This is the first noteworthy update to the MBPr since it was first released.

6. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I agree, I believe apple did a light update on the current 2015's. Since they just created a newly designed Macbook in gold/silver/space gray, I am counting on a redesign of the Macbook Pro most likely October-December timeframe, obviously could be early 2016. As soon as it comes out I will be retiring my 2010 15" Macbook Pro.

7. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Don't expect MBP refreshes for another 6 months or so. 2016, the earliest.

Between the 13" MBP (assuming that's what you're looking at), and the MB, it's no contest. The MBP is better in every possible way as a "work horse".

8. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

The Mid 2015 15" Macbook Pro was a small upgrade with force touch but left the same Haswell CPU. Since Intel will be releasing Skylake processors in October, would it be plausible that Apple would release an updated Macbook Pro with these processors in 2015? Or would they redesign the body and add one USB-C port for early 2016?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is waiting for Intel to roll out the Skylake chipset, I don't think we'll be seeing new 15" MBPs in 2015

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The current skylake release schedule shows no rMBP chips until 2016 (The 28W used in the 13 inch pro) and the ones for the 15 inch aren't even on the release schedule yet. See here for details....

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/11/skylake-processors-for-macbook-air/

As you can see we will get those suitable for the air this year but i don't think apple will bother updating the air myself.

In short the chances of new rMBP's before 2016 are slim to none, with the knowledge we currently have anybody saying anything else is wishful thinking and wilful ignorance.

Of course this may well change as Intel releases further details but it's not looking good....

11. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I strongly disagree. If the Intel chips are ready, Apple will release new MacBook Airs, Pros.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats the point there is no rMBP chips scheduled this year (currently). Any look at the last macbook air update would see it only got SSD's and the broadwell chip. Both of those could be performed without a change in design or motherboard or anything else it didn't even get the force trackpad, it is showing all signs of being discontinued in much the same way as the cMBP with the new macbook taking over it's slot in the lineup. It is highly likely broadwell was the last update they'll ever get.

13. NJPT macrumors regular

People keep incorrectly using the Skylake slides that leaked on August 11th as evidence suggesting HQ chips won't be released in 2015. Again, that leak was limited specifically only for U class chips. That's it. Look, Xeon chips were nowhere to be seen on the August 11th leak. Nevertheless, we know Xeon chips are coming in Q4 2015 because of Lenovo's P50 and P70 announcement (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960...inkpad-p50-and-p70-graphics-workstations.html). By the exact same logic, we absolutely cannot make any assumptions whatsoever about the HQ class chips just because they weren't on the limited U class leak.

All actual information we have, and not suppositions based on faulty logical reasoning, tells us that HQ class Skylake chips likely will arrive in 2015. These chips have been planned for a September-November release based off May 2015 leaked roadmaps, and so far those roadmaps have been extremely accurate (the S class i-6700k released this month just as predicted).

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

What work? Spreadsheets and documents or full blown photo/video editing, CAD, what have you?

With no intended usage, anybody's answer is nothing but a stab in the dark.

Folks who came up to this thread via a search: Please, for the love of all that is holy, if you want recommendations as to what computer to use, state what you intend to do with it.

15. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Yes! Someone finally with some actual reasoning ability.
    Plus, Intel claims all previous delays will not affect skylake's release schedule.

16. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

My best guess would be feb/march 2016 for new retina mbp.
    Late 2015 mpbr would be awkward I think.

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And I didn't make any assumptions I said with the current knowledge available they are not likely before 2016, that is perfectly fair with the knowledge we have. I also made a point of saying that when further information is available that may change but as of at the moment that seems the best guess (and that is all any of us are doing yourself included). Even if they come out in november it is unlikely they will be in macbooks this year.

18. OSX7 Suspended

OSX7

Lenovo pretty much confirmed this 3 months old leaked chart by showing their mobile Xeon Laptop ready to ship in Q4:[​IMG]
    Still I think there is a lack of proper HQ CPUs for an October release :(. Still, we will have to wait until Tuesday to know more about these parts, specifically, frequency to determine if :apple: could use them.

19. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

But current knowledge is that skylake is on time and the earlier leak says mbp suitable processors this month. Not saying we will get a refresh in a couple of weeks but late October 2015 is still reasonable

20. NJPT macrumors regular

With all due respect, your assertion that MBPs are not likely before 2016 appears to be based entirely on assumptions without hard information/knowledge. What single source can you point to that supports your assertion that HQ chips are not coming in 2015? There is not a single piece of hard information or knowledge that justifies this, at least not that you have presented thus far. You have used the U class Skylake chip leak from August 11 as justification for this point of view, which I asserted was illogical because the U class chip leak was obviously ONLY relevant to U class chips, not HQ or Xeon chips. I have presented the Lenovo P50 and P70 as examples of the logical fallacy of depending on that U class leak for anything other than U class chips.

On the other hand, we DO have hard evidence from the May 2015 leaked roadmap that HQ class chips are scheduled for release in September-November this year. And this evidence thus far has been substantiated by the release this month of the S class i-6700k chip.

I have absolutely no personal interest in being incorrect, so if you can present me with any piece of hard evidence to counter an apparently accurate roadmap showing HQ class chips in 2015, then please do so. Until then, I will be quite skeptical that your assertion is based on knowledge instead of pure opinion. I have no inside Apple or Intel knowledge obviously, and so you're right, I am only guessing that HQ chips will be available in 2015, but at least I can say I am basing this guess on hard evidence.

21. promac7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not mean for this thread to be a battleground for whether apple will release a significantly updated (skylake) rMBP this year. At this point I can say two things:
    1. No one really knows - this is the only single truth/fact.
    2. I bought myself a 2015 rMBP 13" 256SSD. I needed a laptop and I love it. (First Macbook Ever)

Will apple release a rMBP 13" in October/November this year that "blows mine out of the water" ? I don't think so.
    If they do however, will I be disappointed? Naturally I will. But if it does blow mine out of the water, will it be on shelves with the same price tag? Probably not. So i don't foresee any major regrets on my part. But time will tell.

I am curious though to know/see how much of an improvement these supposed new skylake processors are going to be in comparison to the existing i5 2.7GHz. Does any one have any strong opinions or evidence based info which could be translated to % improvement?

22. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

I'm tending to lean towards the early 2016 release. That would mark 4 years since the first early 2012 release of the rMBP. The unibody MBP dated 2008-2012, so it would follow a steady refresh cycle. 2013 was the only other year where they released two MBP updates (early and late) alongside new iPads in late October. If they plan to redesign the body (e.g. add new colours, USB-C) it would be fair to wait until 2016. People will want it just as much in February 2016 as they will in October 2015.

23. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I think Apple will keep the macbook announcements to March (like they did for 2015). But this is apple so they can send out invitations anytime.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that the skylake cpu that is used in the 15" MBP has no stated release date, I think your guess may be correct.