Will there be a new 17" with MBPr lackluster sales?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mums, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Mums Suspended

Mums

Now that we've had time to see that the MacBook Pro retina 15" is not everybody's cup of tea, is there a chance that Apple will continue non-retina MacBook Pros into the future, and does this mean that there is a chance that they will update the non-retina 17" MacBook Pro?

I'm feeling slightly desperate that when my current 17" gets old, I will have to look to other companies for a large-screen laptop. I don't want to leave OS X.

Apple's negligence concerning the Mac Pro is quite discouraging...

2. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I don't see the direct correlation between lack of rMBP sales vs. 17" screen size.

A lack of rMBP sales just means they may continue selling the MBP. Regardless I don't see the 17" returning. I don't know how its sales were, but to me it seems like a super niche product. It's just so massive.

3. johngordon macrumors 65816

I would have thought the benefits of larger screens has diminished, as laptops have much higher resolutions now.

Horses for course of course, but last year I ended up replacing a 15" MBP with a 12" MB - same screen real estate on both, but in a more compact, lighter, more portable device. Also have an iMac, so the performance wasn't a big factor. But if it had been I would have been fine with the 13" MBP.

Presumably a 15" rMBP is going to have more real estate than the old 17" MBP.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Apples Mac sales have been increasing in forever, and Apple don't provide numbers for individual models, so why do you assume that people don't want non-retina models? And no, Macrumors forum users are not indicative of sales in the real world.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's also an old thread from 2012. I can't see the 17" MBP ever returning after all these years.

6. johngordon macrumors 65816

Crap - sorry - didn't spot the date - it appeared at the bottom of a page. I didn't search for it and intentionally resurrect it! :blush:

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't worry, it happens quite often.