Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
The same as the title.

I'm just planning to get one so I'm not sure to wait or just get it. It seems that the Airport Express should be updated, isn't it?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I don't see the need for it. 802.11g is more than suffecient for streaming uncompressed audio.

As a travel router you don't need 802.11n either. It eventually will be updated to 802.11n, but I don't think it will happen very soon.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It would be nice for those of us who use WDS to extend our networks. As of now, an 802.11n base station's speed is downgraded in order to allow the express to extend the network.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I don't see the need for it. 802.11g is more than suffecient for streaming uncompressed audio.

As a travel router you don't need 802.11n either. It eventually will be updated to 802.11n, but I don't think it will happen very soon.

Some people use their network for more than internet and music sharing.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

Well, I would like to move from G-network to N-network. And I would like to have Airport Express as a network-extender as well as AirTunes-device. And if I moved to N-network right now, the Airport Express would slow it down, since connecting G-spec devices to N-spec network causes the entire network to slow down to G-speeds.

There are few options I see:

a) Airport Express gets upgraded with N-spec network and HDMI-port for video-streaming as well as audio

b) iPod HiFi gets updated with built-in N-specced Airport Express, so you could stream music straight to the device without having to attach a iPod to it. It would also act as a network-extender.

I think either of those options would be very, very cool :). And option B would turn the HiFi from "meh"-product in to something unique and desireable.

Of course there's also option C: Apple does nothing and quietly kills off Airport Express.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Well, I would like to move from G-network to N-network. And I would like to have Airport Express as a network-extender as well as AirTunes-device. And if I moved to N-network right now, the Airport Express would slow it down, since connecting G-spec devices to N-spec network causes the entire network to slow down to G-speeds.

There are few options I see:

a) Airport Express gets upgraded with N-spec network and HDMI-port for video-streaming as well as audio

b) iPod HiFi gets updated with built-in N-specced Airport Express, so you could stream music straight to the device without having to attach a iPod to it. It would also act as a network-extender.

I think either of those options would be very, very cool :). And option B would turn the HiFi from "meh"-product in to something unique and desireable.

Of course there's also option C: Apple does nothing and quietly kills off Airport Express.
a) :apple:TV

you forgot d) Apple continues to sell express as it is.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

Nope. AppleTV is a "smart" device that can be used interactively by the person sitting on the couch. HDMI-enabled Airport Express would be a dumb device that would just stream content from other sources. You could not sync to it, you could not access the content with a remote on your couch, there would be no UI to interact with, you could not access YouTube... The whole usage-paradigm is totally different.

you forgot d) Apple continues to sell express as it is.

That would imply killing it off.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Nope. AppleTV is a "smart" device that can be used interactively by the person sitting on the couch. HDMI-enabled Airport Express would be a dumb device that would just stream content from other sources. You could not sync to it, you could not access the content with a remote on your couch, there would be no UI to interact with, you could not access YouTube... The whole usage-paradigm is totally different.

You would still need a fairly hefty CPU (at least heftier than the current Express CPU) and an HDMI-capable video card. The cost would push it too close to :apple:TV to justify it.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
You would still need a fairly hefty CPU (at least heftier than the current Express CPU) and an HDMI-capable video card. The cost would push it too close to :apple:TV to justify it.

Do you if you simply stream the signal, while the heavy lifting is done on the computer that does the streaming?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
The same as the title.

I'm just planning to get one so I'm not sure to wait or just get it. It seems that the Airport Express should be updated, isn't it?

Yeah I can see a new one sometime...

'N'

Network link can act as a bridge.

HDMI would rock but I dont see it.

Maybe gigabit.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
I want one to run a N-network. I have the N base station but I have a couple of AEs through out the house for itunes and network reasons, so it takes the base station off of N and makes it G :(

It is a complete waste to have a N router but not be able to run N because of the G AEs. Apple has to make a N-AE in the future (maybe when N is no longer draft) or the AE will just become useless. I'm not buying an AE until they come out with an N-version. It would be nice if they ran a HD too... :)

The Stig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.