Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Maryland
I currently use an iPhone 5S. Yes it's old (maybe 5 years). But it works and i love the small size that fits in my pocket. I've been holding off upgrading because all the new phones are so large. But iOS13 will not work on my phone and I do not think an AW5 will either.

I heard a rumour that a new version of the SE model will be released maybe in the spring. Does anyone know if this is true? Do I wait for this SE idea, or go with an iPhone 8 (the smallest model available now)?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Nope. The rumored small device coming in spring 2020 is an updated 8 with 4.7 screen.

Last edited:

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
The next SE is largely expected to be based on the iPhone 8 with a couple improvements (A12 chip vs A11, camera), and probably the removal of 3D Touch to match the XR, 11, and 11 Pro. I’d imagine they make the battery slightly larger in 3D Touch’s place. If you feel a bit more performance for a slightly lower price (I would guess $399 like the original SE) is worth waiting for, then sure, but the phone overall won’t be fundamentally different from an 8.

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
The next SE is largely expected to be based on the iPhone 8 with a couple improvements (A12 chip vs A11, camera), and probably the removal of 3D Touch to match the XR, 11, and 11 Pro. I’d imagine they make the battery slightly larger in 3D Touch’s place. If you feel a bit more performance for a slightly lower price (I would guess $399 like the original SE) is worth waiting for, then sure, but the phone overall won’t be fundamentally different from an 8.
I'm hoping for a A13 and the regular camera from the 11 actually.. the SE did get the newest the newest cpu and camera if I remember correctly? The difference to the more expensive models would still be screen size, Face ID, ultra wide/telephoto camera, new design I guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.