Will there be a PDF Viewer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ryan.stewie, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

With the announcement of the app store and sdk do you think there will be a pdf viewer for locally stored pdf's on the ipod touch?

2. db2431 macrumors regular

Jailbreak= PDFviewer now.

and of course there will be a pdfviewer with sdk.

3. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I think that it was a mistake not to have a PDF viewer from the start.

PDF is open source and it is the standard format for portable electronic documents.

So, to answer your question, yes, I certainly think there will be a PDF viewer with the release of the SDK.

If you are adventurous, you can jailbreak your iPhone and install a PDF viewer.

4. James L macrumors 6502a

You can store pdf's on your Touch now, and read them in Safari,without Jailbreaking it.

5. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

James -

Do you think you might be able to expalin how for those of us that do not know?

Thank you

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Mobile Mail displays PDF files, among others, so you can also e-mail PDFs to yourself. I think this work-around may be limited to one page documents. I have little doubt that this deficiency will be corrected -- OSX is built on PDF, after all!

7. jbarr macrumors regular

I don't know the details of the SDK, but doesn't this presuppose a method to get the .PDF files onto the device? Ideally, this would be done via iTunes, but I don't know if the SDK provides such a mechanism.

Can you elaborate?

I currently know of 2 methods of doing this without Jailbreaking:

Download with Safari
    Click on a .PDF link in Safari and the .PDF will download and be viewable through Safari. If you set up a simple Web server on a spare computer locally, you co0uld maintain a library of downloadable .PDF files. The only drawback to this is that you are at the mercy of Safari's cache, so while you are offline, you cannot be guaranteed that the page you are viewing will be retained.

Read using Mail
    A more "stable" method is to simply email yourself the .PDF attachment and then open the mail using the iPT's Mail app. The .PDF (and Word, Excel, .txt, and HTML) attachments are very nicely viewable from within Mail. until a .PDF viewer is developed, this is probably the best method.

Just understand that the the iPT, with all that it has going for it, is NOT a heavy-duty computer, so rendering large or complex .PDF files can sometimes be slow.

8. James L macrumors 6502a

Absolutely,

Safari allows you to have embedded bookmarks, where the bookmark is not a link to the file, but the file itself.

So, what you do is download this app to your Mac:

http://www.magnetismstudios.com/MonkeyBusinessLabs/FilemarkMaker

Now, drop your pdf onto the applications icon, and follow the instructions. It will create a bookmark in your Mac's Safari application to your pdf. But, what it really did is embed the pdf directly.

Now, sync up your Touch. When the Safari bookmarks on your Touch are updated, the pdf is transferred over. Whenever you want to view the pdf, just go to that bookmark in Safari and you are good to go. You do NOT need to be online... the pdf is right on your Touch. It isn't in the cache, so it won't expire.

Takes seconds. What I did was create bookmark folder in my Safari bookmarks called PDF, and this is where I put them all.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This works pretty well, but it does crash Safari on the touch some of the time.

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

is there a similar app for windows? i'm trying to get a pdf format to read also while away from wifi...

11. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

anybody? please, i have to fly out soon - and having this pdf file to review over would help greatly!

12. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Yes, as far as I can tell from this information it is related to the absence of flash. Apparantly Apple wanted to license flash from Adobe, however Adobe only wanted to license flash to Apple together with it's PDF renderer. As you know, apple has it's own PDF renderer.

Aparantly it is on iPhone; are you sure it is not available on iPod touch as well?

13. jbarr macrumors regular

The simplest method is to get the Mail app set up and then email the .PDF to yourself. Simple, clean, and reliable.

14. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Is there a limit to the size of PDF files viewable via Mail as an attachment? I've heard it will only work with 1 page PDFs, which is no good for using it as an e-book reader.

15. BoabSmith macrumors newbie

I too have been interested in viewing PDF's, I just emailed a PDF to my gmail account then opened the email in my touch with the email app, which downloaded the full file (258 pages)

I can now view the whole document offline without any wireless signal.

Works very well.