Will there be a "plus" model of the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Aug 19, 2017.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm confused that we haven't heard anything about this. Is there not expected to a plus model with a larger screen?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The 7s, 7s Plus, and 8 or whatever the new name is. The screen on the 8 is basically the same size as the 7 Plus. Take your pick....

3. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

iPhone 7 plus / 7S plus - max usable area 5.5inch

iPhone 8 - max usable area 5.1 inch

4. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

i dont like called S and Plus or S plus

easy to mistake

wish apple could name something elese diff make it easier

5. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

If you want a phone that has more than 6 inches of usable screen space, which I don't think you do. Getting rid of bezels doesn't really give you more usable screen space just more screen to reach. The 8 will actually have less usable screen, so if you want a bigger screen to watch movies, get the 7s plus.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The three rumored size variants are 4.7/5.5 iPhone "7s", followed by the 5.8 OLED model. The OLED model has drawn most of the attention with all the rumored changes this year. The 7s models isn't rumored to be anything revolutionary over the iPhone 7.

7. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I want the biggest screen the next iPhone will have...hopefully with minimal bezels so physical size doesn't get out of hand. I'm just not sure of the screen size options on the iPhone "8" (as none of us are). I hope there is a model with at least 5.5 usable space, if not slightly more, but with a decreased form factor as compared to the 7 Plus.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

9. parajba macrumors 6502

So the rumoured iPhone 8 will have a usable screen slightly smaller than the current 7 Plus? I am in the same boat as the OP, therefore I might wait for the 8 Plus as I would hate to be spending that sort of money and then to see a Plus version the following year...

10. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

We don't know how much usable are they'll be on the 8. It might have a status bar area but until the keynote, we don't know if this will go away while using apps, watching videos etc.

11. iApPel macrumors member

iApPel

iPhone 8 usable screen will be smaller than the 7s+..so which one will you choose?

12. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Same as above, why do people insist on talking about things like they're facts? You don't know how much usable screen they'll be.

13. iApPel macrumors member

iApPel

It's not a fact, but I certainly believe that

14. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

Attached Files:

15. iApPel macrumors member

iApPel

16. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying one way or another. I'm saying you don't know if the status bar area will become usable when using apps and watching videos. What's so hard to understand about that?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    That was in response to the oh so factual picture. But didn't quote for some reason.

17. iApPel macrumors member

iApPel

It's not only the function area but also the camera area

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

With the size of the screen on the 8, I honestly don’t care. It’s a happy medium between the base and the plus model on screen real estate all while keeping it physically the size of the base model.

I’ve been with the plus for 2 years now but I don’t think it’s likely I’ll go back unless I see a massive reduction in physical size.

19. Sunny1990, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Next year Apple may launch a iPhone with 6.4 inch OLED display. Which will replace the Current "Plus" model.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/23/iphone-9-rumored-display-sizes/

20. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Exactly. I have a 7+ and don't want a decrease in screen size. Which is why I am asking about a Plus model of the 8...which I hope we will get. If not, I may not upgrade. Once you have a bigger screen it's impossible to downsize.

21. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I think we will get a 7s/ 7s Plus & an 8 (or X or Edition,etc.). I think the later will have a 5.7" or 5.8" display with smaller body whereas the 7s Plus will have a bigger body with 5.5" display.

22. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I've been thinking about upgrading my iPhone 6 to a 7+ or possibly an 8. Initially I thought the plus models were just too big, but I've been wearing an Apple Watch for 2 years and my iPhone spends more time in my bag. I don't need it for brief glances and interactions (which is where the smaller phone can be convenient), because now I do that with the Apple Watch. So these days I would rather have a more comfortable display and better/dual-lens camera. The 7+ would definitely provide both, but if the camera system is significantly improved in the iPhone 8 it will be a bit of a dilemma. I'm sure the display on the 8 will be a significant upgrade to the iPhone 6 or iPhone 7, but it might not look like an upgrade for 6+ and 7+ owners.

I'm in no hurry since my iPhone 6 is still hanging in there (although the battery and performance are not what they once were), so I'm just going to wait until I can compare a 7+ and an 8 in the store.

Sean