Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
All the Windows laptop producers are producing touch based screens for Windows 8.

Do you think Apple will do this for the MBP and if so when do you think we'll see it?

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I read an article where Tim Cook (IIRC) said something along the lines of there is no place in the MBP line for a touchscreen model and he wouldn't be pursuing it.

Barney

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I really do struggle to see the point in touchscreen laptops. It just feels awkward as your hands are usually on the lower base part of the laptop, I actually find it uncomfortable to reach out and touch a laptop screen, that's what my tablet is for.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
No thanks.
I'm quite fine working out my shoulders in the gym.

I also wouldn't like to participate in your optional rotator cuff physical therapy later in my life.

I will continue to enjoy my higher productivity using a laptop in a traditional way. Having my cursor device right underneath my hands is way more practical than switching from touching the screen to using the keyboard.

What is this, Whack-A-Mole?!

The fact that so many iPad owners bought bluetooth keyboards for their fully touch enabled device is evidence that laptops are very relevant.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wouldn't mind a touchscreen if it were matte, but that assumes Apple would start making real computers again first.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
No, the peter schiff guy with the curly hair at apple said that it's not convenient. It is more natural to put the gestures on the trackpad. Hence we have these awesome really big trackpads that act as our touch screen.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I probably wouldn't use a touchscreen to replace the keyboard/trackpad interfacing on my MBP, but I'd definitely welcome it as an alternative option. Most desktop applications developed up to now have not been optimised for touch-based input like many new applications for Windows 8/8.1, which is probably why there is so much resentment here toward that idea.

I do see it as the future though....Minority Report, anyone? Apple/developers are in a good position for porting over more iOS apps into the OS X playing field; iOS apps are becoming more and more like desktop apps, and I would certainly applaud any effort made to take advantage of touchscreen support on a MacBook. At least by then, I could dualboot into two desktop OSes that support touching. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.