Will there be a watch 2 this fall?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, May 29, 2016.

?

will there be a watch 2 this fall?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Just wondering, I need a new watch haha

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

The current watch is useless for anything but telling the time and alarms.

Just wait - some good things are rumoured.

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I have the steel one. It's fine. I just wish it had its own GPS to track down activities

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Hope they improve the hardware and software for the fitness side. Love my AW but the Fitbit is still my choice for workout/runs.

5. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

It would be great to have a more accurate fitness set of apps. Nicer gui for the interfaces there as well. Less tethering to the iPhone. I love the weather apps on my phone, the fact that I can make up a timer if I like and when I like, yes it tells time, and mostly I can receive phone calls like Dick Tracy (though most of them are salesmen and garbage calls, once in a blue moon I get a real one from friends). The message app rocks.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but I totally can understand why they didn't.

I have a Fitbit surge, and that battery is rated for a week usage, however running the GPS, it will drain in hours, not days (7 hours I think). Can you imagine how quickly the Apple watch will drain if it had a GPS.

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

And yet Apple chose to include the ability to take/make phone calls and listen to music.

Both of those activities if used continuously reduce battery life to 3 & 6.5 hours respectively. Continuous monitoring of the heart rate will reduce battery life to 6.5 hours as well. With that in mind it makes absolutely no sense to withhold GPS merely because it might consume too much battery when used.

There's likely another reason, and we will likely see it resolved and introduced in the next gen watch whether battery life is increased or not.

8. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

You and I both know that nobody here has the answer to that. No matter what anybody here says. The choice is yours ;)

9. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Really hoping for an earlier release.

But most likely it will be announced alongside the iPhone 7...

10. warmo161 macrumors newbie

I'm holding out in buying a Apple Watch until after wwdc next month, then I will decide what to do, if a new one comes out then preorder, of not next day I will be buying train tickets to my nearest Apple Store

11. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm hoping they announce it but I doubt it. They have to test watchOS 3 like they will with the Mac and iOS betas.

12. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Original Apple Watch was ordered April 10 of 2015, why is there no 2nd iteration yet?? B

13. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Another question nobody has the answer to, champ. ;)

14. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

If they do announce one for the fall, it'll be a very expensive September for me. If I get both the iPhone 7 Plus and Apple Watch Sport v2, it'll be close to $1500!

15. warmo161 macrumors newbie

Exactly, this is what I'm confused about too! I suppose the main problem is that because this is the first gen, there is no standard set for the next version

But still, I was surprised that there was nothing in April either!

16. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I vaguely remember Apple stating the Apple Watch wouldn't get new iteration too frequently like the iPhone and iPads. My guess is April next year which would put it on a 2 year cycle.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think Apple has ever stated such a thing, although some forum members predicted this when the AW was first released.

18. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

I'm hoping it gets a refresh. Maybe a little thinner, maybe a long shot but it's own GPS would be nice.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

Probably because it will be released on the iPhone cadence, and perhaps not every year. A September release is 18 months, which gives Apple time to move to the more efficient 14nm processors (from the 28nm in the current Watch), which should be significantly faster and enable more features to be added.