Will there be an entry level version of the 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Last iOS 5 user, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Will Apple release an entry level 27" iMac?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. Other (post why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Last iOS 5 user macrumors member

Apple just released an entry level version of the 21.5" iMac which uses components of MacBooks and small hard drives to keep it cheap.
    Would they do the same for the 27" and what would it pack, while keeping a low cost?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No. The cheap 21" model is there for being a cheap way to get a Mac. Adding a 27" screen will remove the cheap point.

And after all, the iMac is already a pretty good deal IMO.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't think so, for the simple reason that if you're on a tight budget, you'd only be looking at a 21.5" anyway. A very slightly cheaper 27" will be too expensive for those who want a cheap computer, yet underpowered for those who want a powerful iMac. The worst of both worlds.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I understand your point of view, considering Apple came out with a budget 21" model. Why not come out with a 27" model? Here is the reason this will never happen.

The new 21" iMac costs about the same price as the MBA, and it has similar components, but it sacrifices the portability/SSD for a nicer screen and more storage. I would never recommend it to anyone, but it still has trade-offs.

A 27" budget iMac would cost more than a MBA. Most likely $300-$400 more. You could get a display and an external hard drive for that price. Because of the price difference, the 27" iMac would not fit any market space.