All iPads Will there be an iPad Nano with Phone function?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by younker, Sep 11, 2013.

1. younker macrumors member

younker

Now we have smaller iPhone (4s) and bigger iPhone (5c/5s), also big iPad and mini ipad, how about an iPad Nano that just fit in the middle of iPhone and iPad but supports Phone functions

Specification:
    6 Inches Display with same display as iPad 4/5, ppi is about 420.
    Powered by A7
    Touch ID

be announced in October after the iPad and iPad mini refresh, available in December.

2. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Oh wow, that would be a nice name for it, iPad Nano :) so you mean a Galaxy Note 3 competitor from Apple? Would be great if they did it, I still think there's a large market for Phablets, Samsung is currently dominating and cashing in on it, would be great to have another juggernaut come into the market.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

While I don't like the idea of this, I don't think it's impossible, I think that it would be an iPhone though not an iPad.

4. younker thread starter macrumors member

younker

Apple think iPhone should be operated by single hand, while iPad nano doesn't violent this rule but you can use as a phone

5. yinz macrumors 6502a

This is a good premise, but I think they also separate the iPad and iPhone by phone function. Calling it an iPad Nano would just disrupt this separation, so I don't think that would happen.

The bigger iPhone will just be an iPhone X(L). X being the number and L being a letter. But do you really think the paradigm is shifting so much that phablets are a must? I really think that's a niche market. Galaxy Megas aren't flying off the shelf, and iPhone buyers are usually more attracted the S line from my experience.

I can see Apple moving closer to the 5" screen, but the 6" just seems a little too ridiculous. It's far too impractical for a company who prizes practicality to produce such a device. I really like the Nexus 4, but some say that's even too big for one handed use.

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

No? If they were to do that, it will come with the iWatch, not the Nano.

7. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I think such a device is not something Apple would easily consider, because it might drive a portion of their customer base to buy just that one device, rather than an iPhone and an iPad.

In the end it's about the bottom line and iPhone + iPad nets Apple more money than the combo device would. At the same time, someone who buys just the iPhone or just the iPad nets Apple (very) roughly the same amount of money someone buying the combo device would, while manufacturing this new category of a device would increase Apple's costs.