Will there be an iPhone 2SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blahbrah, Jun 27, 2016.

1. blahbrah macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if you all thought there would be a follow up to the iPhone SE with 3D touch. It honestly seems like easy money for Apple since they just need to cram in this year's chip and probably leave out the new camera but then again the Mini and the 5C had incredibly brief lifespans.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

No.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I know. I was being a bit of a smarta** since the OP talked about the brief lifespan of the "Mini and 5c". He can't be talking about the iPad Mini because that's been going strong for over 4 years now.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

There will be another iPhone SE. The sales of this iPhone se have been good from what I've read and if supply is any indication of demand then it has most definitely sold much better than anticipated.

With that said I'm not so sure Apple goes with numbers when they update the SE. I'm thinking they just call everyone the iPhone SE... Like Motorola was doing with the Moro G. Such as iPhone se 2016, 2017, and so on...

6. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

i think the question isnt if but when,

next year or year after, 1 or 2 year cycle?

7. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I think there will be another SE, and I hope it comes in 2017. I'd like a 4" version of the 6 series, but I think another 5 series upgrade is more likely.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPhone SE S

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm assuming you're meaning design wise? Considering the innards of the SE is a mix between iPhone 6 and 6s?

If so then I think this is possible with the chipset of the iPhone 7. Only thing is ... The iPhone 7 looks like the iPhone 6 ... Lol

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

2017 is rumored to have the redesign and the se can go to the current 6 design at the same time.

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm not too sure if Apple will continue making iPhone SE's. SE stands for Special Edition, but it's not really special anymore once they put it on a yearly refresh cycle.

The popularity of the SE pretty much proved to Apple that many of us still want small phones, not necessarily cheap phones. I don't see Apple continuing the iPhone SE line, but rather adding a 4" option to their "flagship" line.

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think Apple will release another one next year. Reuse the chips on this year's iPhone 7. I prefer "4.5 over just "4 but it seem pointless with the "4.7 next to it, so SE line isn't really catered for me. Hopefully, Apple won't reuse the 5s hardware design over and over. Be creative again Apple after half decade without any new refreshing hardware designs. The shells are hardly expensive parts to produce.

13. Azzurro macrumors regular

Yeah I hope they redesign the 4-inch model. Though redesigning means additional $, I will still get the next SE.

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

He was probably talking about the iPod mini, which was only around for about 20 months before being replaced by the iPod nano, even though the mini was at the height of its popularity.

15. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This I could see happening as well. It may not be called iPhone se, but the se would have been what started it...

16. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

I think it will be a device try that gets updated but not as regularly as the flagship phones.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Good thing about the SE is it doesn't look like the 6 series. Bad news is it looks like the 5s. That isn't necessarily a bad thing either since the 5 design is nice but Apple should be original next time. Remaking the 5 series twice? Redundant. As much the 6 series feels slippery, I also don't like the sharp, boxy lines of the 4 and 5 series either.

It feels like Apple wanted to cater the SE to girls with the rose gold option. Could they have at least attempted to give a front black with a different option other than space gray to cater to more to male audience? If they need to remake a design, do one for the original iPhone but bigger. Perfect time for its 10-year anniversary next year similar to Nike making Jordan 1 retros.

18. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I sure hope so, the SE is an awesome phone. Considering how well this phone was received, I'd say that we've got a good chance for a refresh sometime within the next 2 years. I hope they update it every year like the other iPhones.

19. Loco Emperor macrumors regular

Where have you seen the official name being called iPhone special edition

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

21. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

I can't imagine Apple giving up on this form factor. Apple is the undisputed worldwide leader of small smartphones. All other manufacturers have abandoned the market.

22. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

There is vast majority of people who still perfer small phones over the large phones due to their one hand usage and easy to carry.due to these reasons apple will or should upgrade the 4 inch models every year to keep up with the hord

23. Skika macrumors 68030

24. Osamede macrumors 6502

No - the next iphone model will come in three sizes and will have a longer product cycle. 5.5" and 4.7" in the autumn of 2016. The 4" one in 2017 autumn.

The current "Iphone SE" is just a kludge to fill the low-end product gap in the meantime...