iPhone X Will there be an iPhone Xs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eldiablojoe, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Is there any indication of a pending half-step improved iPhone X coming out in the Fall? An iPhone Xs for example.

2. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

There will be a new iPhone in the fall. Weather or not its called the Xs remains to be seen.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

No idea what you mean by ‘half step improved’ iPhone X. But if you have been paying attention to the rumors, it’s been heavily discussed for months that Apple will be launching a 6.1 LCD iPhone, the reoccurring 5.8 iPhone X and the new addition of the 6.5 iPhone X. Those Three model phones are almost guaranteed at this point.

4. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thank you for the insight. I have not been following the rumors or the site of late. Just for clarification, Relentless Power, what I meant (of which you stated you had no idea) was a half-step improvement, a regular "Tock" to the "Tick-Tock" cycle that Apple has implemented and followed with the iPhone almost since inception.

For Example:

Tick: iPhone 3G
    Tock: iPhone 3GS

Tick: iPhone 4
    Tock:iPhone 4s

Tick: iPhone 5
    Tock: iPhone 5s

Tick: iPhone 6
    Tock: iPhone 6s

Tick: iPhone 7
    Tock: iPhone 7s

See the pattern? That is what I meant by the current iPhone X and a possible iPhone Xs. While not necessarily named that, the concept translates.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

6. windywalks macrumors 6502

That would look weird seeing as a lot of people pronounce the X as a letter. "Excess", "XS" as in Extra Small... Yikes! ;)

7. 0007776 Suspended

I think they started moving away from that pattern when the released the iPhone X and the iPhone 8 instead of the 7S. They certainly could go back to it, but I think we will either see a different naming scheme or it will go to be like macs and you'll have the name just be iPhone without the extra number or letter designation.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I’ve always perceived the numbered model as a visual change and the “s” as a performance improvement. The non-s seems to be the one that doesn’t have much longevity. I’d rather have the s.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That tends to be true. A Lot of iPhone aficionados tend to want the S models, because that’s where the hardware improvements are in terms of RAM, camera upgrades, implementation like 3D Touch with the 6S when that launched, etc. I somehow expect the 6.1 LCD iPhone to be the ‘S model’ of the current iPhone 8, but with the exception it may not have 3D Touch/ wireless charging, but will incorporate Face ID.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

According to leaks, there are 3 iPhones - X Plus OLED, X LCD, and SE which will offer edge to edge display.

12. rjp1 macrumors regular

Nah, Apple has decided they've finally made enough money and will discontinue the iPhone.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That’s partially correct. Yes, you mentioned the 6.1 LCD model, the 6.5 iPhone X Plus, (And the reoccurring 5.8 X) but the SE has had an abundance of contradictory rumors of what it will look like based off renders, fan art, case manufacturers, “Leaked” protectors, ect , but nothing discussing in terms of when to expect it to release.

The models likely to launch is the 6.1/5.8/6.5 iPhones. Those models in my opinion are almost guaranteed, where the SE has no real future in terms of knowing what Apple will or will not consider updating, when it may have been limited iPhone. There is to much unknown with the SE.

14. PhoneMe1 macrumors 6502

PhoneMe1

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

“ten S”

16. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

The 3 phones rumored to be released are
    X+ (OLED 6.5)
    X (OLED 5.8)
    X (LCD 6.1)

The SE if released would be a 4th phone. In any event, that is what I have read over and over.

17. windywalks macrumors 6502

I'm well aware of the fact that it's a Roman numeral but the people who are not just figure it's a letter, which is why adding the letter S would further make it weird. The same went for OS X, which many pronounced as X, not TEN.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Those people were none too smart . Of course most Apple fans will pronounce it correctly as “Ten”. I was hoping they would kill off the “X” thing when they renamed it to MacOS, but of course lo and behold we have this again.

19. windywalks macrumors 6502

I know, but what can we do?
    I tried to correct a few people I talked to but they are hell bent on pronouncing it as x.

20. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

That's a little harsh. Apple created this confusion with their naming scheme. They completely skip over 9, yet release an 8 and a 10? And now rumors claim that the new iPhone's will continue to carry the X name? Apple should drop all numbering and simply go with iPhone.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

The "s" phones have often actually featured greater internal improvements. 5s from 5 featured the introduction of a 64 bit chip, as well as TouchID. The 6s doubled the RAM of the 6. The 7s... um... isn't a thing, but I guess you mean the 8.

22. nordique macrumors 6502a

There was no 7s (only a 6sss lol)

I think they will revamp the naming cycle this fall, but thats just a postulation

Who knows what they will do with naming this year. As they showed with the iPhone 8, the name indicates little beyond marketing. It was all about how their development teams were structured for a time period, and how the numbers were marketed, but they may have moved away from that. Maybe the new LCD phone is called the iPhone 9? And they retain "X" for another year on the OLED phones? They will still have iPhone 8 and 7 in the product line, so this does make naming one phone "9 and 10" sensible from that perspective.

But who knows what they'll do this year. They've broken conventions that fans had presumed to be set in stone in the last several years, from everything to how many OS's would a device support to naming, to expecting a redesign every other generation.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Because they were iterating it’s a 10th anniversary iPhone. That’s why they offered it as the “iPhone X”.

Also, Calling the iPhone X and iPhone 9 would have been even more skewed and confusing. The numbering scheme in itself is important to the iPhone lineup, because it devalues the older iPhones and presents the newest model iPhones. It’s a way of showing a hierarchy in the iPhone lineup. It’s nothing really that abnormal.

24. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

They will most likely call the LCD model for iPhone 9, so it makes complete sense.

And given the name of the X, I would have liked them to revert to some naming scheme as you suggests, just calling it iPhone X for the foreseeable future, and just updating it. But they won't do that, because the numbering scheme helps consumers realizing that there's a difference between the 7 and 8, since they look almost exactly the same.