Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
Just wondering if OS X 10.11.6 is the final "polish" or if there's a chance we might see a 10.11.7 - 10.11.8 update.
Will it be possible? Or you guys think all the efforts are aimed at macOS Sierra?

(although there has been said that there are two different teams working on each OS)

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
I imagine that Apple will continue to do some work on El Capitan while they are working on the roll-out of Sierra. Apple has discontinued official support for a number of older Macs with Sierra, so El Capitan is likely to hang around for a while.
That's my thought, but you never know; just curious. This last 10.11.6 update worked flawlessly on my two 2008 macs.

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
If there will be a 10.11.7 release we should see a beta next week. I'm hoping El Capitan goes up to a .8 release like Snow Leopard, with 10.11.8 including the finished Disk Utility from Sierra.
That's right, let's hope they do it in order to let OS X El Capitan at its best stage possible.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
About pages, in HT number order:
I guess that at least one of the fixes that was originally intended for 10.11.1 could not be fixed until after 10.11.3 … and so on.

Incidentally, does anyone know what HT signifies? (Abbreviations such as KB and TA are easily guessed. I can't guess the meaning of HT.)

If there will be a 10.11.7 release we should see a beta next week.

My guess: not so soon. Maybe three weeks before the first golden master candidate of Sierra.

I'm hoping El Capitan goes up to … including the finished Disk Utility from Sierra.

I understand the wish, and I expect the underlying technologies to change to support Apple File System, but I doubt that Disk Utility in El Capitan will regain any of the features that were lost (compared to Yosemite); I doubt that it will regain the ability to create a RAID set, and so on.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Incidentally, does anyone know what HT signifies? (Abbreviations such as KB and TA are easily guessed. I can't guess the meaning of HT.)
Originally meant "How To", as compared with the TSxxxx (Troubleshooting) articles. Though most of the TS articles are now HT articles, e.g. TS4053 is now HT204443

Reactions: grahamperrin

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Just wondering if OS X 10.11.6 is the final "polish" or if there's a chance we might see a 10.11.7 - 10.11.8 update.
Will it be possible? Or you guys think all the efforts are aimed at macOS Sierra?

(although there has been said that there are two different teams working on each OS)

This question can not be answered by any of us. We'd all be guessing. My guess is NO! Except for Security Fixes.

OS 10.8 went to .5
OS 10.9 went to .5
OS 10.10 went to .5
and, of course, OS 10.11 went to .6.

I expect (guess) that's it:oops:

Lou

Reactions: ferretex

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This question can not be answered by any of us. We'd all be guessing. My guess is NO! Except for Security Fixes.

OS 10.8 went to .5
OS 10.9 went to .5
OS 10.10 went to .5

You should look at the release dates. 10.7.5 was released at the same time as 10.8.2 in September, 10.8.5 and 10.9.5 were released in September too. 10.10.5 was released in August. It is certainly possible.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Does it really matter even if El Cap reaches 10.11.8...? Though it may be comparable to SL's 10.6.8 for a total of 8 maintenance build (a big IF El Cap reaches that far), it does not negate the fact that the current OS X cycle is still 1 bloody short year...

Reactions: arefbe

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
So well, days are passing by and no signal of a "possible" 10.11.7 Beta...Maybe tomorrow? Or maybe that's it with OS X El Capitán and 10.11.6 is the final thing here.

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
(Above) I doubt it.
Well I guess I doubt it too. Anyway this last version of the OS works marvellously on my two old macs (after all the maxing up) but I was just maybe "hoping" they took the performance enhancements and the "under-the-hood" improvements a bit further.
[doublepost=1469651762][/doublepost]

OS 10.8 went to .5
OS 10.9 went to .5
OS 10.10 went to .5

Lou

I guess you're absolutely right mate.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
What makes you believe that we will get a .7 version at all? I would like to, as I want to stay on this at least until 10.12.5, but I think that there won't be any more versions for El Cap.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
September (late September perhaps) is still a ways away. I'm going to guess they will come out with 10.11.7

Obviously the lack of a beta as we speak suggests I'm wrong ... but hey, a boy can hope.

Reactions: ferretex

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I hope El Capitan will stay in the App Store. I have a huge amount of old MacBook Pros lying around that I want to upgrade with SSD and more RAM to sell them later this year on eBay without an OS or a Mountain Lion redemption code what I still can purchase from Apple.

It would be bad if after the release of Sierra there is no way to upgrade them to El Capitan for the new owners when they never "purchased" it before.

If I do it myself it will be tied to my Apple ID and there is no way to do another legal clean install later. Or I have to create many new IDs now before it is to late and sell one with each MBP. That's not a very good option and I also don't know if it is allowed.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I hope El Capitan will stay in the App Store. I have a huge amount of old MacBook Pros lying around that I want to upgrade with SSD and more RAM to sell them later this year on eBay without an OS or a Mountain Lion redemption code what I still can purchase from Apple.

It would be bad if after the release of Sierra there is no way to upgrade them to El Capitan for the new owners when they never "purchased" it before.

If I do it myself it will be tied to my Apple ID and there is no way to do another legal clean install later. Or I have to create many new IDs now before it is to late and sell one with each MBP. That's not a very good option and I also don't know if it is allowed.

Well you can always put the El Cap installer in the Applications folder before you sell them... ;)

...based on the last couple years, my guess is that El Capitan won't be available once Sierra is released (unless it was purchased before of course)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.