Will there be an updated iPhone in the current size this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Will the iPhone 5S be the most advanced phone released in the current form factor? If so, I may have to get one over the summer off contract. I was assuming Apple would release an updated phone in the current form factor and a larger phone; but it seems like two larger phones are coming, with the iPhone 5S being discounted and the iPhone 5C going away...

2. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I hope so. Apple have said repeatedly that the iPhone screens are just the right size for one-handed use. I think they will keep that, and introduce an iPhone TwoHands model.

If they don't, you should be able to get the current size cheaper for at least a year.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's just rumors at this point so nobody knows.

They have to sell a last year's model, so it'll be either 5s or 5c. One but not both will be discontinued.

4. Sangdushi macrumors regular

I wouldn't bet on it. All rumors suggest one or two new phones releasing in larger sizes.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I'd wait and see. If you prefer the 5S when the 6 is released then you can get it at a discount. But if you prefer the 6 for whatever reason you can get that. Aside from waiting, win win.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I seriously doubt that Apple is going to release a 4.7" and 5.5" screen iPhone. It seems more likely that they will release an updated 4.3-4.7" screen along side an updated 4" screen model.

7. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

I fully expect a 5" iPhone 6 with a full 1080p 16:9 ratio, but the bigger thew screen, the more pixel density it's going to need to continue the "retina" clarity. 1080p might not be enough.

With Samsung threatening a 2560 x 1440 AMOLED display in the Galaxy S5 next month (along with 4GB of RAM and a crazy fast Quad-Core CPU, and a Iris Scanner?), Apple is going to continue to lose marketshare to larger Android phones all Spring and Summer long. They probably won't release anything on the iPhone 6 until maybe September? That's going to be a LOOOOONG drought for Apple.

If you think Apple's current earning's report is a bad sign, wait till you see the next one...

Samsung's Galaxy S5 is going to drop at the worst possible time for Apple.

Apple needs to have a really HUGE upgrade/feature in the iPhone 6 too keep it's marketshare or it's going to fall fast.