Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macseven77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
Chicago
Does anyone know if this is in the works? I would really like to switch to an apple keyboard but I only want wireless and the num pad is a must... (New to all this so sorry if this is a new thread or wrong location) :)

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Nobody knows, but I think we'd all guess no.

Apple knows what you like better than you do, and if you want a wireless keyboard, you don't want a numpad, either. :rolleyes:

Personally, I got the previous-generation Apple bluetooth keyboard (the white one). By doing this, I saved some money and still got a Mac-friendly (i.e., has propetly-labled keys--because pretty much any keyboard will work) Bluetooth keyboard. There are other manufacturers, too, if you feel like shopping around--although I too would really like the new aluminum one to have a numerical keypad.

Alas, even one more reason to think our hops are dying: Apple released a wired keyboard without a numeric keypad a while back, as well. If anything, I think someday they'll probably just drift towards none of the keyboards having it.

macseven77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for the info RMo, I guess I will stick with what I have until maybe, just maybe someday they will release it.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Nobody knows, but I think we'd all guess no.

Apple knows what you like better than you do, and if you want a wireless keyboard, you don't want a numpad, either. :rolleyes:

Personally, I got the previous-generation Apple bluetooth keyboard (the white one). By doing this, I saved some money and still got a Mac-friendly (i.e., has propetly-labled keys--because pretty much any keyboard will work) Bluetooth keyboard. There are other manufacturers, too, if you feel like shopping around--although I too would really like the new aluminum one to have a numerical keypad.

Alas, even one more reason to think our hops are dying: Apple released a wired keyboard without a numeric keypad a while back, as well. If anything, I think someday they'll probably just drift towards none of the keyboards having it.

Makes me even happier that I have the white one, too. The only down side is that after 3+ years, the keys aren't so white anymore! I may have to pick a key off in a corner somewhere that I rarely use to be the guinea pig to test how easy it is to remove keys and then re-attach them and whether anything breaks in the process. Maybe one of the F1 - F7 keys. They are the only ones I don't ever remember using... they are also the cleanest keys left on the keyboard!

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Makes me even happier that I have the white one, too. The only down side is that after 3+ years, the keys aren't so white anymore! I may have to pick a key off in a corner somewhere that I rarely use to be the guinea pig to test how easy it is to remove keys and then re-attach them and whether anything breaks in the process. Maybe one of the F1 - F7 keys. They are the only ones I don't ever remember using... they are also the cleanest keys left on the keyboard!

I've removed a few and it was quite painless--but I think you should probably try doing so yourself with some relatively unimportant keys, as you suggest, just to make sure I didn't just do that in a dream or something! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.