Will there be another G5 PowerMac update before Intel?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChrisWes, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. ChrisWes macrumors newbie

    Apr 3, 2006
    New York City
    For various reasons, I've decided to buy a G5 PowerMac rather than be a first adopter of the Intel update in the fall. My question is, will there be another G5 PowerMac update before the Intel's come out in the fall? That's still six months away, and the present PowerMac's have been out about 6 months already. By update, I don't only mean processors (like, say, a 2.5 dual core from the present 2.3), but also a better video card or other hardware? Or do you think this is it?
  2. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

    Jul 17, 2002
    Chris, I've been asking the same question as you for the past few months and I really hoped they'd do a hardware bump (not processor change, but improve graphics card or larger HD, etc) before my ADC student discount expired (well, my membership). My membership expired yesterday and I ordered my g5 last week. What that means is that there's a good chance there will be an update now.

    Seriously though, I think there might be a minor update especially if the intel mac pros aren't announced until august just to help them clear out their g5 processor stock. I wish they just would have done it a little earlier so I could take advantage of it too.
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    no, i don't think so. I think all new machines are going to be intel from now on. they don't want to confuse people by saying "we're switching to intel! ....but look, we are still putting out PPC products because Intel isn't ready yet." I think that would send the wrong message, and I highly doubt they'll do it.
  4. ChrisWes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 3, 2006
    New York City
    Good point Cassidy, though perhaps Apple will quietly improve some specs. They had done that quietly several times with the PowerBooks, like increasing hard drive size or the read/write speeds of the CD drive. Still I wouldn't mind them throwing in a 2.5 dual core at their current 2.3 dual core price point. Maybe I'll wait a month or two more to see if there are any tweaks.
  5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

    Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Definitely not... you can quote me on that. Apple is only looking into the future from here on.
  6. THX1139 macrumors 68000


    Mar 4, 2006
    I wouldn't be so definate. There is a chance simply because Apple, like all companies, are in it to make money. The Powermac line is old and could use one more speed bump to hold people over until the Intel desktop mac come out. Who's to say that they won't sell Intel alongside of PPC? As for the speed bump, it would be relatively simple to do one more bump and that would help sales through the summer. There are a lot of professionals who need the speed and can't wait for all of the pro apps to be ported to UB, nor do they want to buy the first versions that come out. I think the transition to stable professional desktops is going to take a year, and in the meantime Apple would be losing sales if they don't stay competitive in the desktop market. You can quote me on that.
  7. 4God macrumors 68020


    Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac
    Doubt it. Like QCassidy352 said, everything is going intel and it probably wouldn't be good PR to do a PPC bump now.
  8. ChrisWes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 3, 2006
    New York City
    The IBM processors used in the current line max out at 2.5 ghz by IBM's own design spec, so I'm not expecting anything more than that. Apple has taken that chip set design as far as it can go by using the highest speed IBM makes and multiplying it by 4 (the quad).

    Rather my thought was that since there is still about six months (a hell of a long time) to go before even the first desktop Intels, and a whole year until a Photoshop UB (not to mention printer and scanner drivers, monitor calibration software, 3rd party plugins, raw converters), I'm hoping they'll "tweak" with better video cards, larger HD, or maybe use the highest 2.5 speed in the dual core model without any price leap. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I agree any tweak won't be earth shattering, just perhaps giving us a tad more for the money than they do presently. It's more a question of better configurations using current technology at a given pricepoint, rather than any breakthroughs.
  9. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

    Jan 22, 2006
    You don't think apple could continue to push PPC marketing to a niche like Quad processor machine owners without disrupting iNtel machine sales? From what I understand, PPC is not going away by any means. If they are going to put it in game consoles...

    edit: removed pointless cite
  10. Abulia macrumors 68000


    Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    Exactly. Technologically there's no reason why they couldn't, from the marketing side...this would be a disaster.

    There will be no more PPC updates in any Apple line. I think that's been pretty clearly established. So to the OP, no worries, you won't miss out on a PPC upgrade.

    My money is on the Intel PM being announced at WWDC and shipping 30-60 days after that.
  11. milo macrumors 604

    Sep 23, 2003
    I doubt it. Apple has done silent bumps in the past, but any since intel boxes have shipped? I doubt it.

    Not to mention that the faster the G5's are, the smaller the improvement they can brag about will be.
  12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    The contract with IBM is over, done, fini. I can imagine few applications needing more than a Quad G5 in 6 months. If that's not enough, buy two and use fibre channel!

    There were some of us who thought (read: hoped) the PowerBook would receive an update before Intel, with the MPC7448 or even, dare I say it, the MPC8641D Dual Core Processor.

    I think Apple will rush the Intel PowerMac, just like the MacBook Pro.

    The best way for Apple to stay competetive is a price-cut.

    Those are special-use configurations, with an optimized architecture that isn't suited for conventional computing. Not only that, they take years to develop. They could hardly fab at 65nm; the POWER5 chips are spent.
  13. lonelemur90 macrumors member


    Mar 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    i Very highly doubt it. But why would you even want another update? I think a 2.5Ghz quad core processor which still runs at a more than respectable speed will hold them over until the intel ones arrive later this year if not the beginning of '07. In fact, i think they are just going to make less and less of htem so the powermac transition to intel will be almost instantaneous.
  14. Sammis89 macrumors regular

    May 30, 2005
    I think that unless there's a problem with whatever Intel chip they're going to put in the PowerMac, there wont be another G5. However, if there ends up being a problem(I dont know what it would be), then i think that they might throw in a small update to feed peoples Mac addiction.
  15. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Jun 20, 2005
    i doubt it, but hang on if you can

    HI Chris,

    i doubt they'll bump the G5s before the intel versions come out. I'm personally waiting for the new ones to come out so i can buy a Powermac G5 at a discounted rate. Anything would be good, but i'm hoping to rack enough sales to justify the need. I find my dually 2.0 is a great machine so if i can get another one, i'll be one happy little camper :)

    the G5 imacs went down in price so i'm hoping for a repeat.. :)
  16. ChrisWes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 3, 2006
    New York City
    Good point Keebler. Probably it's more likely there'll be a price drop on the current PowerMacs over the summer/fall as Intel gets nearer, rather than any bump in specs soon. I guess I'll wait a bit and see what happens.
  17. Alone2Gether macrumors regular


    Jul 27, 2005
    Not a chance. Apple is done with IBM and PPC.

Share This Page