Will there be another (small) hardware upgrade in october?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mach, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mach macrumors member

I'm holding out on buying a MBP until Leopard comes out for a potential speed bump in the hardware when Leopard comes out.

So you guys think there will be no hardware speed bump in the MBPs (even just a small one like the one we got last October, with the X1600 no longer being underclocked (remember discussions of the 8600M being underclocked flying around here) and maybe a small CPU or HDD boost) to coincide with Leopard's release? I'm betting there will be, even if we just got an upgrade, that's why I'm waiting.

What do you guys think?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I doubt it, but I heard somewhere the top spec processor for SR is 2.6GHz, not 2.4GHz, so perhaps they'll give it a little boost in a few months time.

I reckon if iMac's aren't updated tomorrow, and they really shouldn't be as they're nothing to do with software and they're consumer products, we can expect them to be upgraded in Paris in September again. That's been the venue the past 2 times has it not ?

3. weeman macrumors 6502

I highly doubt there will be more upgrades until around Macworld

I would rather get one now just because the machines now are more than capable of running leopard. Plus because I want one.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Didn't they say that their entire lineup would be LED backlit by the end of this year. if I remembered that right then at least the 17" and the macbooks will see an update before the end of the year, but it may just be the screens.

5. mach thread starter macrumors member

I remember hearing this too.

Doesn't it make sense that they would upgrade the hardware around Leopard's release, though?

This will be my first mac, though I use them extensively at work, so I know a good deal about them. On a PC, upgrading the operating system is hell. I'd much rather buy the system with the new OS pre-loaded. Is the upgrading process smooth on a mac?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Upgrading the operating system on a Mac is definitally much easier than it is on a PC, so I wouldn't worry about that, The only thing is if you wanted to save the $120 that you would spend on Leopard.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

For everyone hoping for the 2.6 C2D, ask yourself this. When has Apple ever used "extreme edition" processors in its consumer lineup? Thats why I don't think we will see another update to the MBP until Penryn. Plus it would be weird to have the MBP lineup split between regular and extreme edition processors.

8. Episteme macrumors regular

There's a non "extreme edition" 2.6GHz CPU (T7800) due in 4Q07 -- at the same time as the X7900 (2.8GHz) Merom becomes available.

Having said that, so close to Penryn, it seems unlikely it'd make it into the MBP.

9. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I don't see it happening, they left it 9 months to update it this time so it seems apple are not in a rush to bump the specs up.

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

I doubt there will be an update.

I believe this was Steve Jobs saying they were hoping to do this by the end of 2007, if it was possible. The official statement from Apple on this is that they'll have a roadmap for introducing LED screens for all their laptops by the end of 2007, which should be completed by the end of 2008. As to the 17" models, Apple says the switch will happen when they can get suppliers.