Will there be any free upgrades to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lilvenom, Jul 9, 2007.

1. lilvenom macrumors member

I plan on buying a MacBook Pro in the coming weeks and I know Leopard is coming out in a few months... will there be any free upgrades available to people buying MacBooks now? or will I have to just buy the new OS when it comes out later this year?

sorry if this question has been asked before but I haven't really seen anything on it...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This question has been asked loads, but anyway.

Now. 95% chance of no. In the past once a shipping date (and no a month is not a date) is announced any Mac bought gets a free upgrade. So as no shipping date is yet announced it's full price upgrades.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

no, if apple had any sort of leopard upgrades they'd be touting that all over the place. They may around, the month before they launch, but now no, sorry.

4. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

Well, they might announce a more specific date soon, and they might give a DISCOUNT and not a free upgrade.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yes, definetely. They need to set a date so in-house they have a real target.

No, most probably not. At least the last 5(ish) years there has always been free upgrade for all computer purchases after Apple has announced a release date for the next OS (this is called the up-to-date program) — and I can't even remember the last time that Apple discounted anything with the coupons they're including with software purhcases. Because the coupons have been worthless that long I don't see them returning to them in the near future.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They gave a free upgrade to 10.1 to anyone with a coupon from 10.0. And that was only because 10.0 did not actually do everything that OS9 had on the same hardware (no DVD player!)

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

10.1 was more like a service pack rather than a full OS upgrade. It was mainly just patching up 10.0 to a usable state.

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

No, it was more like you could buy OSX before it was released. So 10.0 was Apple's way of selling a "version 0.something" software and it was only logical to give the "version 1.x" software free for the people buying the zero-something version before it was usable (which is a definition for 1.x software).

As far as I can remember, the last 10.1 version was very usable; even more so than Windows five years ago.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually that was the Mac OS X Public Beta. Mac OS 10.0 was the full release version and as I said 10.1 was the service pack like upgrade to get it in a somewhat usable form.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mmm yeah. I had the beta too. I actually used it as my every day OS on my home laptop. Boy has OSX come a long way in a short time.