Will there be any lag for running parallels on 2011 MBA 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mavericks, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Mavericks macrumors member

Mavericks

My gf has a base model 2011 MBA 11" 64GB SSD, 4GB RAM, i5, and HD3000. I'm thinking of installing a virtualization app for running windows. Will she notice a lot of lag? And which one is easier to handle, VMWare or Parallels?

2. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

I have Parallels on my '11 MBA and Fusion on my 11 iMac. I don't particularly care for Fusion, but my wife likes it better, and that's her main mac (until tomorrow when my new '13 MBA comes in that is). Parallels runs PERFECTLY on my '11 MBA though. No lag whatsoever. Boots up Windows 2008 R2 in a matter of seconds and runs things like a champ. You will be very satisfied with it as long as you're not gaming on it.

3. n1tut macrumors regular

I also use Parallels with no problem on a 2010 11" with only 2MB.

tut

4. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

I'm guessing 64GB will be the issue, if you're giving 20-40GB to windows it doesn't leave much for anything else.

5. n1tut macrumors regular

Depends how many Windows programs you install and their size.

I am probably using the least possible with 13GB as I only need to run Quicken 2004, on my 64GB drive.

tut

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i think if anything you are going to feel some heet with your 64 gig disk-size
    the minimum partition size VMware is going to want to use is 40 gigs, for example. and you're already using up a good 10-15 for sure with your own native OS.

Code:
    Resolution
    To work around this issue, remove the primary hard drive and add a new virtual drive:
    Launch VMware Fusion.
    On the Mac menu bar click on File > New.
    In the new virtual machine creation wizard, click Continue without disc.
    Select Use operating system installation disc or image and from the dropdown select Choose a disc or disc image.
    Navigate to the .dmg file, ISO image or the .app file and click Open.
    Click Continue.
    Select the version of Mac OS X installed and click Continue.
    Click Customize Settings. 
    Click Save in the window that appears.
    Click Hard Disk (SCSI) > Advanced options and click Remove Hard Disk. Select Move to Trash as this file is empty.
    Click Add Device > New Hard Disk > Add.
    Resize the new hard disk, then click Apply and close the settings window.
    Start the virtual machine, which is now available in the Virtual Machine Library.
    Format the new hard disk to make it ready for the installing Mac OS X guest operating system:
    Start the Mac OS X installation.
    From the OS X Utilities window, select Disk Utility.
    Select the hard disk that is available and click Erase > Erase. This creates an Untitled volume. You can rename the disk if required.
    Quit Disk Utility and click Continue. 
    Follow the installation wizard to continue with the installation.

----------

my thoughts as well. you can run a virtual file of an external drive though if you were so inclined. i did that using my old back-up drive a few times and now with usb 3 it should be even faster!

of course that would require being tethered to a drive...but better than losing such a huge chunk of your storage space.

7. Mavericks thread starter macrumors member

Mavericks

Apparently it does slow things down a bit and the fan becomes loud, I'm suspecting it's due to the 2GB RAM...