Will There Be Different Coloured Dial Dots Moving Forward?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by donster28, Oct 15, 2017.

1. donster28 macrumors 68000

Do you think the next generation of Apple Watches will have different coloured dots on the dials to differentiate them from previous models, just like the red on the current ones?

Just noticing the black dot on someone’s else’s SS AW today immediately informed me he had a previous version, so this made me curious.

2. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Yellow next year and pink year after that.

Considering people hate it so much it’s hopefully going back to just metal next year.

3. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

If Apple would really resort to having another color on the dial every year, they would have lost it! It would confuse customers (was that yellow dot from the 2019 watch or was it the old 2018 model?) and there are lots of colours that would clash with bands much more than the chosen red dot.

Besides, already the S2 stainless had a coloured dot: Black.

So if Apple should choose to continue colouring the dial dots, I'd rather expect some consistency. Something like e.g. red dot for LTE models, black for standard stainless and blue for some potential future model focussing on medical functionality. Each independent of the respective generation.

The problem would arise sooner or later, though: Which colour is leading? Does a medical watch with LTE have a blue or a red dot? Currently the black dot on the stainless is replaced by the red LTE dot. But that concept doesn't fly with multiple indicators and models in the future.

Unless you want to eventually have a full rainbow of colours to indicate all included functionalities ... :D And that option is already reserved anyway, to indicate the future watch running a full OSX (due to lack of processing power you would see the beachball for prolonged times, hence the colours ... :p).

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I’m still wondering if the red dot is purely cosmetic, or if there is something not yet revealed to us :eek:

5. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

LTE is the new but invisible super feature, hence the red dot to make it visible.

6. testcard, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

I suspect that the red crown will only be used on future LTE models, other, non-LTE, Watches will continue with the black crown.

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

If they change the color, I might not buy another―the red is fine (although pushing it), but the watch is supposed to be a classy item, yellow... seriously?

Is Apple's marketing team going ahead of design?

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I agree with this. Apple had to do something to indicate which ones were LTE (well, they didn’t actually have to, but apparently they felt they did).

I suspect for the next couple of generations it’ll be red crown for LTE, black (or bare aluminum) for non-LTE.

9. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting points guys!

I’m guessing that colours will be used for major features added, like blue for a 5G LTE version or one with over-the-air wirelss charging. Any minor upgrades might be spared the colours.

10. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You nailed it. The dot will be colored when there's advanced tech that warrants it. They won't stop at Black or Red but the tech inside must justify it.
    Like you said, prepare for Blue, or Green, or even White in the future.

11. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Why did they "have" to differentiate if it had LTE or not? The only person who needs to know is the owner.

12. donster28, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

It’s more as a status symbol really. Apple is really good at making people notice their products therefore creating buzz.

My red dot has already been noticed and prompted questions from a couple of people interested in the new watch.

Who can discount the odd looking Airpods which still garner me some quick stares from people when wearing them?

Oh, and the now infamous notch on the upcoming iPhone X will soon prompt questions from curious onlookers.

13. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

I would bet on an obvious form factor change such as a new bezel design for 2018. By then, there are likely new health applications, sensors, or even just a basic camera that can be integrated.

Apple typically uses special colors as a push before a form factor change, such as jet black and red. It's a low effort but distinguishable change.

14. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

I hope this doesn't happen until 2019. At least it will give me a couple of years to appreciate my new watch hehe...

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's cosmetic. As much as Apple Watch to embellish the watch as a fitness and communication device, which it does very well. It's also a fashion statement, having the red dot was Apple's way of distinguishing it from the other models and making a standalone detail that will indicate who is wearing the newest model.