Will there be Iphone 4 ONLY apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Galacticus, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Galacticus macrumors member

Hi All, I've been a reader of these forums for a while and finally had something to ask/say.

So the question is... will there be an Iphone 4 section of the app store?

2. gdevitry macrumors member

Sure, just like there were 3.x only. Some features require hardware, like the Gyro.

3. Galacticus thread starter macrumors member

But are there actually 3GS only apps? I've seen apps that have certain features that will not work on a 3G, but never apps that required the S to run.

4. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I don't think so but some apps may say in the description that is is built for iPhone 4. The thing is that a lot of people don't read them. I always see iPod touch people complain about apps not working because of no microphone. All they had to do was read the description.

Edit: also I don't think Many people will develop something only for iPhone 4. If I sold an app, id prefer that most of the iphone/iPod touch users could use it.

5. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Anything that requires the compass is 3GS only.
    Layar comes to mind.

6. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

7. redbroccoli macrumors member

There should be.
    I'm sure there will be an app that requires a gyroscope or front camera.

8. Galacticus thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. It seems to me like Apple needs to do a better job of App store filtering on the iphone program.

Why can't I tell it that I just want to search iphone 4 or 3GS only apps?

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

On iTunes, you get them all. But the App store on your phone will only be able to see those Apps that work on your phone. iMovie "should" not show up in the 3G(S) App Store. Just as iPad Apps don't show up now.

10. MasterZ macrumors member

dont forget the 3g and the 3gs were the same except for the addition of the compass and the speed pretty much.

11. Galacticus thread starter macrumors member

12. Gigzz macrumors regular

I can view Nav apps in the store from my 2Gen Touch. I agree, they need to do a better job with this.

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

In general most devs aren't going to create a iPhone 4 only app unless the feature is very specific to the iPhone 4 and can't be done on other iPhones. There's no reason for them to limit their target audience. This is why it will be rare to see many v4 only apps anytime soon.

14. Biker macrumors regular

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Other then tasks that can't be done on previous phones I don't see this happening really.

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

And a new cpu architecture, that an app can be set specifically to too, armv7, previous iphones to 3gs were armv6.

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

indeed, developers will in general want to keep as wide an audience as possible, but there will be some apps that need the gyro, and certainly be plenty of apps that need iOS4, and thus abandoning the first gen devices on that basis alone.

18. Orli155 macrumors newbie

I saw an app once, forgot what it was a long time ago, that said it was only for the 3GS and 3G iPod. So there should be some.

Edit: Just googled it and there's a few.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

There wasn't much of a gap between the 3G and 3GS. Devs recognized this and didn't create many 3GS only apps because it would cut their consumer base in half. It just wasn't worth creating 3GS only apps.

I expect this to change with the iPhone 4. There is a large gap between the 3GS and iPhone 4, with a ton of speed, resolution and other hardware features added. It also seems as if more consumers are upgrading/adopting this time around (judging from the preorders). Devs will take advantage of the iPhone 4 specific hardware this time around, so we should see more iPhone 4 only apps.

20. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

I'm guessing Apple themselves will prob make a few ios4 or apple 4 only apps. They will prob be described as only being able to run with these due to the speed or memory needed.
    They will prob do this to remind people that their is another iPhone out in hope some will upgrade for the newer apps.
    The more people with iPhones the more people buying apps thus creating even more money for Apple.

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

yes. the hardware can do many things other ios devices cant. imovie is an iphone 4 exclusive

22. Sinfire macrumors regular

There are a few apps that are iPhone 4 only such as iMovie, FaceTime.

But any app that makes use of the increased resolution and the gyroscope are also going to be iPhone 4 only. I can see this being true with a lot of the future games.

23. DonBeNit0 macrumors newbie

24. eatbacon macrumors regular

This isn't related to the iPhone 4, but rather iOS4, but...

I am annoyed that one of my apps (TideApp) which shouldn't need any fancy hardware or software features suddenly isn't compatible with my wife's 2G after an update. It simply won't install giving me a warning that it is not compatible with this iPhone. I wasn't warned that updating the app would cause it to stop working, nor is there an easy way to have the old version install on her phone and the new version on my phone since we sync to the same iTunes library (or even to get the old version back).