Will there be Leopard Upgrades for new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lasuther, Aug 9, 2007.

1. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I'm going to check out the 24" iMacs this weekend and possibly buy one. Historically, Apple has offered reduced cost upgrades for people who bought computers recently. Assuming Leopard releases at the end of October, do you think Apple will have a inexpensive upgrade option? That is about 11 to 12 weeks.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No thats too long. Generally they offer free (only postage and packaging) after the official release date has been set. With some grey areas around then.

3. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I highly highly doubt it, they don't even want to give people free iLife who bought there new macs a day before iLife '08 was released, and for a discount, I would say you would have to buy it at most 1-3 weeks before release

4. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

I asked my Mac genius that question a few weeks ago. he said basically the update would have to come out VERY quickily after your purchase....say 2-3 weeks and they would discount it or give it for free. Anything beyond that, he said it'd be $150 to upgrade.

I personally won't wait to buy my new iMac just because of the impending Leopard release....the release may get pushed back for unknown reasons. I'll pay the $150 if I have to later to upgrade....but first I'll see if I can convince 'em to give me a discount!!! :rolleyes:

JimmyD

5. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I had an iMac G5 that I purchased outside the time period (by a few weeks) they set for allowing the iLife '06 upgrade with the up-to-date program. Apple.com still let me order the disc without any hassle.