Will there be multiple iPad product?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ShamrockSolace, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ShamrockSolace macrumors member

I am looking at getting the April 2010 version of the iPad after the next iteration/refresh iPad is released. For budgeting purposes could I expect that the April version will be replaced with the next iteration/refresh like the iPhone. Another option is possibly looking at an iPad Pro, like macbook or perhaps ipod models? How they next iPad is marketed will determine the discount on the April 2010 iPad. I am hoping for a good discount. Anyone hear anything about this?

TIA

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think at some point in time there will be more than 1 version of the iPad.

Probably not for v2, maybe a few years away.

But it does not really make sense to have one model that does everything for ever.

Two reasons.

1: It stops you being able to offer a well priced product for those on limited funds, but would like one.

2: It stops you being able to add higher end features as you are worried about the basic price going too high.

Apple don't expect every iMac owner and MacBook owner to buy exactly the same models. they made different models to suit different peoples needs and budgets.

I know we are talking about iOS here, and up till now there have only been one iOS version of each product. But I see no reason why this cannot change, and it's going to be to limiting to make a One Size Fits All model for ever.

Ask us again in 5 years :)

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yes, Piggie is right, that reminds me of how Steve Jobs said that 10" is the Minimum for a tablet, I imagine that once iOS gets a bit stronger and closer to OSX there will be equivalent sizes to MacBook Pro's, but that's like the iPad 4 or 5

4. ShamrockSolace thread starter macrumors member

Clarity

I was very confusing in my original post.

What my goal is: Looking for the 2010 iPad version at a lowest purchase price after 2011 iPad is released.

My thoughts were if it is still an active product line when the 2011 iPad releases. Like iPad classic "2010" and iPad Pro "2011".

I thought if this occurs the purchase price of the 2010 iPad will not decrease as much as if the iPad 2011 being the only offering through Apple.

TY

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I kind of doubt it, but it could happen, like they did with iPhone 3G/3GS or iPod touch 2nd/3rd gen. But you originally said "for budgeting purposes," so I think for budgeting purposes, you should assume that there would be only one model of iPad being sold in 2011, with the resultant price hit for the 2010 model. Then, if it turns out that the 2010 model is still "active" in 2011 and you are able to sell it for a bit more than you budgeted, you have a little extra over-the-budget money you can spend.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to clarify my earlier views.

At the moment, we are still on the 1st model.

We are still on the "Will anyone actually buy it" product.

The "Perhaps we better not spend too much time and money on it, in case it flops so we will in essence just scale up the Phone and Touch and see how it goes" model.

Now they know they have a hit, they can start considering just how they want to develop it. They can start to fit the things that were missing for various reasons in the 1st product.

I don't suppose it's going to be till iPad3 till it in any way mature as iPad2 is just going to be a "fit the missing bits" update.

When they feel the iPad is a mature product, a fee revisions away from where we are now. They will see there are groups of people who want different things.

Some will be the more creative power users who want a tablet that allows them to create.

There will be others who just want to read books, browse the net, send emails and play a few games.

It will make no sense, at some point in the future, to try and make 1 and only 1 product to answer everyones needs.

7. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I would say an option for a higher processor power, or perhaps an option for cameras or no cameras may be possible, if you call those different models. I find it unlikely, however, that they create an "iPad Pro" as you say, akin to the macbook and macbook pro, with an entirely different for factor. Chances are there may be a model of the same name, with the same form factor, different models for higher processor speed, or something.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

for the next 2 or 3 revision i'll see the new one just replacing the old one. After that new technologies will be available, like screens, cameras and who knows what and them other version of the iPad may come alive (just like Ipod classic, them the Video, them the Touch, same evolution). For now it will be a table device and only that.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

iOS can't get that fragmented yet, Current App designs are made to fit specific screen sizes, To be able to have several iPad sizes they would need some sort of universal code that doesn't make Apps just way bigger or smaller
    Also, more power is more fragmentation in one Line, I doubt i see it
    iOS Devices are some sort of Equal experience, that's why people love em