Will there be people lining up for next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puercaeli, Feb 22, 2009.

1. puercaeli macrumors regular

I know that iPhone 3G was quite a major milestone as it was first iPhone to have 3G on it. It was also first iPhone to be available nearly worldwide. So it was quite obvious that people will line up iPhone 3G.

But how about the next version? whilst next version will be a significant leap on its own hardware wise(on the basis of the model number change and newer technology being available(Eg. AMOLED)), it seems like a lot of people won't feel same. So do you think next version will once again create a long line in front of Apple Store or will it be more like iPod launch where no one really lines up?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Okay, in this post I speak for myself, and most other regulars in the iPhone forum.

I waited in line for the first iPhone. I waited in line for the second iPhone.

This question was asked CONSTANTLY before the iPhone 3G was released. I always said people would line up for the iPhone 3G, but many people doubted me and others that believed there were going to be lines. The turn out ended up being greater than the first iPhone.

And you know what? The same will happen this time again. How?

It's the iPhone. It's that simple. The device that exceeds any other in media attention. Everything now is pretty much associated with the iPhone. I also think Steve Jobs will be the one to announce the new iPhone, since right now of course he is taking a break, it was announced we would return late June. Why would he pick late June to come back? I'll let you guys make the connection.

3. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Yes. I will be in line.

4. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Since most people are aware of the past two releases and the lengthy lines, people will show up early expecting a line. Thus creating a thought in others heads that they too should wait in line because there are already people waiting. Confusing, yes, but that's just my prediction. :)

5. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I believe you are right and I thought this same thing the minute that announcement was made that he will be back "late June".

All we need now is to see a WWDC date announced for "late June" to solidify this theory.

If it's true, I'm hoping for one helluva comeback! :D

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Kinda. It's true that when people see lines or hear about lines forming, they will get in line. But i can tell you now, that I don't even know what the next iPhone will be, but I'll be waiting in line for it and many others will do the same.

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i think i will be in line because my girlfriend seemed to enjoy the whole...situation.

i dont care for the media or the hype.
    just the fun little experience.

8. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Haha, I'll be right there with you buddy....well, not RIGHT THERE, but you know what I mean. :p

I'm looking foward to this experience as well, hanging outside the Apple store with all the geeks and all. I guess what really matters is if it will be a big enough change to the iPhone to draw HUGE crowds and lines as the first two did. Or else I could just be standing in line amongst the crowd waiting for the genius bar.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Ha hurray! I worried last time if I was gunna be the only one waiting in line for a while.

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Most likely yes. I got in line at 4AM for the 3G and I had a lot of fun and met some really cool people. Plus the AT&T store is across from a Starbucks; always a plus. ;)

Maybe I'll wait at an Apple store this time. It'd be a bit further though.

I'd recommend it to everyone. Sure you get up early, but you get to meet some cool people who share a common interest. :)

11. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Yes I'm already in line. Been here since last Tuesday.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well you know, if theres even ONE LESS person waiting in line, the tech journalists will declare the iphone a massive failure and say its on its way out the door. Mark my words.

13. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute! :D

So when is the opportune time to start camping out, ya know, since this will be my first time doing it and all. Let's say there's a new iPhone announced WWDC (Late June we'll say) and it's release date is, hmmmm July 15th.

July 15th at 4am?

lol. This is gonna be wierd.:p

14. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

ah good
    seems like there will be a line this time as well!

I am more than happy to line up again, it was quite a enjoyable experience
    if sth can be done about the cold weather...(in Sydney)

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Oh I read it was around 14 degrees (Fahrenheit) for you all last time around.

Thankfully in SoCal it'll be summer so around 40 degrees is the coldest it will get unless there's some sort of freak storm.

16. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

no way I'm waiting this year...last year I waited close to 7hrs, I almost died on line!!! 3G is fine for me right now...I'll wait (but if the new iphone has something truly amazing, hell yeah I'll be on line!!:D)

17. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

40? Wow it rarely gets below 70 F here in NorCal during summer.

At the moment it's 56F at 1:47AM

18. locifcan macrumors newbie

I just care when will Apple release the next updates of the firmware.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'd love to stand in line this time around (I didn't get to for the first two iterations) but I just got my current phone in December, and with my contract being 18 months long I don't think I'll be able to get a new phone until the 2010 update... Guess I could still stand in line though!

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There will be lines.

I'll do the same I did for the original iPhone. Walk in to the Apple Store the next morning and pick one up with no lines. My days of lining up for ***** are behind me.

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Unquestionably.

However, given there will probably be less free upgraders, I suspect they might be a bit quieter.

Phazer

22. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Same here.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I won't wait in line for the next iPhone, I have no doubts that many other people will.

24. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Happy with first gen.....

....so won't purchase unless there is significant hardware changes If the changes warrant a purchase, however, I still would not wait in line.

There are usually more than enoughphones to go around, so I will wait until the dust settles, and user review are, in before buying.

Jude

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I will be laughing at all the fools waiting in line. come on it's only a phone or a game or a electronic device. Well this economy may put a bit of a damper on silly spending.