Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you expect an iMac redesign?

• 4rd quarter 2019

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • 1st quarter 2020

Votes: 23 2.8%
  • 2nd quarter 2020

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • 3rd quarter 2020

Votes: 131 15.9%
  • 4rd quarter 2020

Votes: 172 20.9%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 343 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I remember that guy, he was crazy :)

Anyway, don't you remember spring 2020 when we were waiting for iMac update? We got shortages of it throughout the year few times but the iMacs were updated in august. These things usually don't indicate imminent refresh.
Sure, sometimes they do but most of the times its just inventory shifting. Its not valuable metric.

Having said that, I care more about what Gurman tweeted today so perhaps there is a slight chance for iMac next tuesday but not for the 27" model. Rather odd but it would signal that M1X is going to low end iMac (24") and the bigger model will get M2 variant later this year. Would be logical in terms of tech but illogical in terms of marketing.

Few more days left :)

Why is MacRumors only reporting on it now then?

Don't be like @DexBell. Not regarding the fact that he's suspended though... ;)

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Rather odd but it would signal that M1X is going to low end iMac (24") and the bigger model will get M2 variant later this year. Would be logical in terms of tech but illogical in terms of marketing.
What if M2 is more powerful than M1X?
We will see who ends up being right. I'm pumped for that new iMac that's definitely going to come out no matter what anybody says! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Well, that was kinda my point. M2 variant going to 27" (30-32") iMac whilst the small 24" will get M1X.

That is probably the only scenario that I can see for next week if 24 is announced without the big one.

Personally, I'm excited to finally get iPad Pro and retire my Air 2.

What if M2 is more powerful than M1X?

We will see who ends up being right. I'm pumped for that new iMac that's definitely going to come out no matter what anybody says! :D

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
As I'm waiting for the big iMac the 24" doesn't really bother me. It will only excite me to see whats coming for the big brother :)

And the iMac? ;)

I feel the size of XDR is perfect and if Apple wants to use that for economics of scale it makes sense. So same size (same panel actually) as XDR with less fluff to make it more affordable.
When 5K came to iMac all these years ago it was groundbreaking also so I can definitely see that.
Also, give us a consumer display same size. ACD 2.0 :)

Hopefully 32" is going to be the min, nothing smaller seems to make sense from 27".

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Means absolutely nothing. This happens all the time.

It is possible this is just a supply-constraint issue (perhaps of the physical shell since it is impacting both the HD and 4K models), but with Apple already formally discontinuing the 512GB and 1TB SSD options, we may be seeing a specific trend with the 21.5-inch model being phased out sooner rather than later.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hopefully 32" is going to be the min, nothing smaller seems to make sense from 27".
That's what the rumors are saying so far.
It is possible this is just a supply-constraint issue (perhaps of the physical shell since it is impacting both the HD and 4K models), but with Apple already formally discontinuing the 512GB and 1TB SSD options, we may be seeing a specific trend with the 21.5-inch model being phased out sooner rather than later.
Yeah, way too many stars aligning perfectly.
As I'm waiting for the big iMac the 24" doesn't really bother me. It will only excite me to see whats coming for the big brother :)
I don't think we will see the bigger version unveiled until WWDC or later in the year.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I remember that guy, he was crazy :)

Anyway, don't you remember spring 2020 when we were waiting for iMac update? We got shortages of it throughout the year few times but the iMacs were updated in august. These things usually don't indicate imminent refresh.
Sure, sometimes they do but most of the times its just inventory shifting. Its not valuable metric.

Having said that, I care more about what Gurman tweeted today so perhaps there is a slight chance for iMac next tuesday but not for the 27" model. Rather odd but it would signal that M1X is going to low end iMac (24") and the bigger model will get M2 variant later this year. Would be logical in terms of tech but illogical in terms of marketing.

The point is that it is not an isolated sign. This is the culmination of a PLETHORA of obvious markers of an impending iMac that are all happening in the same timeframe - during the weeks leading up to an event.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
We will soon find out.

The point is that it is not an isolated sign. This is the culmination of a PLETHORA of obvious markers of an impending iMac that are all happening in the same timeframe - during the weeks leading up to an event.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
If there is a new chip ready, which I think we can all agree is the case. I have a suspicion that we may see another new Mac Mini before some other devices. It's an easy one for them to upgrade.

A new higher-end MM will remove the remaining Intel device still being sold and the transition for that line is complete.

DieterV

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
L0vedtodream just tweeted a picture of the colored logo of the spring event and a picture of the g3 iMacs.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
So expect Tuesday
- 24" 4k+ display starting from 1399$ with M1 , 256SSD and 8gb Ram
- 24" 4k+ display from 1599$ with M1X

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It stands to reason that the base models will have 8GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD as that is what we saw on the M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Alright guys, I'm in now. Still think that only 24" will get shown but at this point I see it that iMacs are coming on tuesday.

Lovetodream put me over the edge. :)

Seeing that I want to buy 27" successor then I guess I will have to wait a bit longer but at least I will be able to see where Apple is going with it :)

Anyway, tuesday may not be lackluster afterall

Reactions: DieterV

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Alright guys, I'm in now. Still think that only 24" will get shown but at this point I see it that iMacs are coming on tuesday.

Seeing that I want to buy 27" successor then I guess I will have to wait a bit longer but at least I will be able to see where Apple is going with it :)

???

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I'm so happy to have you on board!

This is going to be the longest weekend of my life! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.