Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you expect an iMac redesign?

• 4rd quarter 2019

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • 1st quarter 2020

Votes: 23 2.8%
  • 2nd quarter 2020

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • 3rd quarter 2020

Votes: 131 15.9%
  • 4rd quarter 2020

Votes: 172 20.9%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 343 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The_Lord_of_Apple

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2020
dont expect the 24" to come just with the M1...
I'm using a M1 Mac Mini at the moment and it is so good. Running Capture One Pro and Davinci Resolve is so smooth. If an iMac comes out when I wake up tomorrow morning, I will order one even though it has a M1 CPU.

Lovetodream was tweeting about an iMac with an OLED last year prior to WWDC but nothing surfaced. So I won't hold my breath.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
The black text.

Only two months after refreshing the base model? Again, that seems like a huge middle finger from Apple. People cannot wait anymore for this Apple Silicon redesign.

Welcome to the world of Apple! :p

Are you suggesting that we won't see new iMacs tomorrow?
Dunno if I'm missing something but I wouldn't put much emphasis into the text, that black text is the script for audio description of the gif that's there. Hence 'visuallyhidden' and 'vo-*' where vo stands for VoiceOver :)

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
I currently have a 27" iMac (2012) that is in desperate need of replacing, if Apple only update the 21.5" iMac later today (UK time) i wonder if it will be enough for me to replace my now very old iMac.

I hope Apple do announce iMac's today, but i'm not expecting it at all.
Lol you? Im still sitting on an early 2009 24in imac that needs replacing badly

Reactions: Dave245

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I can't imagine Apple releasing a new display that isn't retina (at least 218 ppi). To be retina at 32" requires 6k resolution, so the resolution isn't one of the things they would change to make it less expensive. The backlighting is the part that would change.

I can see them releasing a model with both reduced resolution, and cheaper back lighting. I use a TV on my Mini, and it's amazing what you can live with, resolution wise... If I try to do 'office' type stuff, I notice the 'subprime' resolution, but for animation, etc, it works. Just saying...

How many people, that surf the web, need 6k displays? Not as many as you might think...

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I hope Apple do announce iMac's today, but i'm not expecting it at all.
Why not? I cannot see why they wouldn't at this point.
Dunno if I'm missing something but I wouldn't put much emphasis into the text, that black text is the script for audio description of the gif that's there. Hence 'visuallyhidden' and 'vo-*' where vo stands for VoiceOver :)
Ah, okay. That makes more sense.
Lovetodream was tweeting about an iMac with an OLED last year prior to WWDC but nothing surfaced. So I won't hold my breath.
He is still nearly 90% accurate though.
4200 days of the same screen sizes and bezels!!

View attachment 1760324
View attachment 1760325
Nope, the iMac design was last changed in 2012.
Apple's really doubling down on this 420 thing aren't they... :p
That actually makes sense... ?
I'm suggesting we might see new iMacs today, but 'we' might not be able to buy one until late in the year. It's possible they might not have stock, or might pre-release any new ones by a few months.
It's now or never. I don't see them announcing the iMacs but telling people that they won't be able to buy them until later in the year.

The announcement today and purchases open up on Friday as per usual. It's now or never.
I can see them releasing a model with both reduced resolution, and cheaper back lighting. I use a TV on my Mini, and it's amazing what you can live with, resolution wise... If I try to do 'office' type stuff, I notice the 'subprime' resolution, but for animation, etc, it works. Just saying...

How many people, that surf the web, need 6k displays? Not as many as you might think...
How many people that surf the web buy such a fancy and expensive computer? :p

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I’m really not in the market, but am definitely more of a desktop than laptop person (I bought an M1 MBP out of urgent need). If the iMacs are available soon and I like what is announced, I may sell my M1 MBP. Right now, I can be without a computer for a little while if I upgrade (my circumstances did a 360 since December.)

The Apple store iMac section is down, so we will see.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Nonsense. If they announce iMacs then they will be available within few weeks even with short supply.
iMac is not a device that can (or will) be announced months ahead actual release.

Mac Pro - yes
iMac Pro - yes

not a consumer device.

I'm suggesting we might see new iMacs today, but 'we' might not be able to buy one until late in the year. It's possible they might not have stock, or might pre-release any new ones by a few months.

Reactions: ViP3l2

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Nonsense. If they announce iMacs then they will be available within few weeks even with short supply.
iMac is not a device that can (or will) be announced months ahead actual release.

Mac Pro - yes
iMac Pro - yes

not a consumer device.

We will see... It would be odd to pre-annnounce, but this past year was surely 'odd'.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013

There’s only one single non-Retina screen still available. The dual-core(!) 21.5" iMac. That's going bye-bye. Maybe the education sector was the only thing that kept that model around this long..

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
There is a difference having 6K on 20" display and 40" display. (for example)

The displays we get right now on an iMac are retina yet still lower pixel density than an iPhone.

What I mean is that you do NEED 6K from certain sizes+

Sure, 6K on an iPhone makes no sense and no one needs it but 32" 6K is pretty much a must in order to have the retina crips screen.

I think the 6K might be deceiving so will probably better to talk about ppi instead of 6K.

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
The Apple store iMac section is down, so we will see.
Oooooooo! Exciting! :D?

Mac Pro - yes
iMac Pro - yes

not a consumer device.
Yeah, just like AirPods Max.
A Mac Mini? It makes the most sense for PeeCee owners looking to upgrade 'inexpensively'. Their keyboard and mouse will likely work, and they just need a dongle, or an HDMI monitor.
Mac Mini is not iMac?
We will see... It would be odd to pre-annnounce, but this past year was surely 'odd'.
We had a November event last year and an April event right now, it is very odd.
You're missing the point he/she was making. Thinning out the edges of the chassis in 2012 did not impact the size of the display or the bezels, and to this day remain the same from the 2009 design.
Ah, okay. I was more focused on the chassis.
There’s only one single non-Retina screen still available. The dual-core(!) 21.5" iMac. That's going bye-bye. Maybe the education sector was the only thing that kept that model around this long..
What about the other 24" configs?

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
We won't need to see. Its given - either Apple releases today with preorders starting relatively soon OR there will be no iMacs today.
Its that simple - there is nothing inbetween for this

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
in the world of apple silicon, yes the 24" imac will be the low end.
As I said not compared to the other Intel Macs up to 27" 6-core. Only GPU wise an 8-core GPU would be low end. So to have a M1 iMac as low end and other inferior 21.5" iMacs as "better" would be very strange.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't see where the current iMac design needs to be tweaked. I think it still rocks. I mean, aside from changing the appearance of the physical base, what else can they do? Oh, size, and colors. I'm all for a 32", and color? For me, I love the space gray (isn't that what they called the IMP?), unless they put out a (PRODUCT)RED version. I could see getting a (PRODUCT)RED version. I couldn't see a red keyboard and mouse, but I could get used to it...

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
The bezels and chin are in need of reduction. The design is dated and awful for today's standards.
Sure, it still looks great but its not good anymore. The bezels need at least 50% diet (minimum)

I don't see where the current iMac design needs to be tweaked. I think it still rocks. I mean, aside from changing the appearance of the physical base, what else can they do? Oh, size, and colors. I'm all for a 32", and color? For me, I love the space gray (isn't that what they called the IMP?), unless they put out a (PRODUCT)RED version. I could see getting a (PRODUCT)RED version. I couldn't see a red keyboard and mouse, but I could get used to it...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Apple are staggering the release of their M chip Macs, so I could see an iMac announced today. I wasn’t going to tune in, but intend to now. I like my M1 MBP, but I’d rather have a desktop and iPad(s) here.

I’d be all over a Product (RED) iMac too, IF it was a darker red. If not and the iPad Air colors are used, I’ll go with Space Gray/Black if I buy.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I was just referring to his/her crazy idea of announce today and launch in few months - not happening.

To your question - if no iMacs today then unless there is another event next month then WWDC. The big iMac is most likely not happening today anyway so WWDC with M2 or something like that would be cool.

We still don't know the cycle Apple is taking now so I guess we might find something out today.
Personally, I hope we won't have to wait for iPhone reveal to get the M2 tech out.

iMacs at WWDC then?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The bezels and chin are in need of reduction. The design is dated and awful for today's standards.
Sure, it still looks great but its not good anymore. The bezels need at least 50% diet (minimum)

But then they will likely get bigger/thicker. *shrug* We'll soon find out. I do like the thinner sides on the IMP. I think killing the 'chin' could be hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.