Will there ever be a pay as you go iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakealdred, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

Will there ever be a pay as you go iphone (pre pay) in the UK?
    or atleast a £20 contract
    us 12 yr olds dont get £35 a month and £170 for a phone
    -jake

2. zmit macrumors regular

*sigh*

its called unlocking it.....

but of course you'll need the money for the device anyway.....

3. chrisparr macrumors regular

You're 12 and can afford £20 per month :eek:

Crikey! when I was 12 I got £1 pocket money a week and I didn't dare ask for more.

Has inflation been that high?

I must be getting old :)

4. X district X macrumors newbie

buy phone = £269

unlock phone = £free

use pay as you go sim card

= problem solved

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

6. jakealdred thread starter macrumors member

jakealdred

if i unlock it can i still sync with itunes and use that as my main music app?
    and how do i unlock it
    and will it void my warrenty
    and say if something goes rong with it can i take it back
    adn how do i top up with it
    theres no physical keyboard when you are in a phone call
    so i cant use a voucher
    -jake
    EDIT: i dont want to jailbreak the iphone i like the iphone OS and want to keep all the apps that come with it
    i also want full support with all of the apps
    and i dont want to instal installer
    i also want to be able to update the firmware with no problems through itunes
    so basically i want a normal iphone but just on a different network:)

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You pretty much have to Jailbreak the phone to unlock it from what I understand.

Edit: Am I reading this right in that you've just plainly said you're 12 when the minimum age for registering on the forum is 13?

8. Spud1 macrumors member

Couple of things here:

1) Read the forums, every single one of your questions has been answered already many times over - heck most of them are answered within the stickies so you don't even have to go searching.

2) If your 12 then you won't be able to buy one yourself, as you can only buy an iPhone on a card..no cash etc..so keep in mind you will need an older sibling/friend or parent to buy it for you.

I'm going to answer your questions briefly anyway, but really - go and read the stickies in each iphone forum.
    Yes, it will work exactly like a locked o2 iPhone, just on a decent network :) You can still sync it with iTunes/outlook..itunes just sees it as an iPhone.
    Use Pwnage - there is a sticky with full instructions in the hacking forum. Stay away from Ziphone (which some people still reccomend), it is risky and has a high probability of bricking your phone. Just don't do it.
    Yes and no - UK law means that any hardware faults have to be covered by the warranty, so if you screen or battery dies apple will fix it for you. However, if you break the software (ie brick it) they will not. You will also need to 'Virginise' your iPhone before taking it in for repair - by this I mean de-activate it and return it to the state it was in when you bought it. Pwnage can do this for you.
    See above

You topup the same way as with any pre-pay phone...there is a keyboard when you are in a call, it is just not there by default..there is an option to show it when you are in a call.
    Jailbreaking just gives you the OPTION to install 3rd party applications, it does not remove or replace any functionality on your phone, and you keep all the apple standard applications and interface. You don't have to jailbreak it to unlock but it is really reccomended as you can make so many improvements to the phone without any negative side effects.
    You can do this - but you need to be careful. Do not install any firmware updates without checking the internet to see what sort of problems it can cause. Most of the time it is safe enough to do, but you would need virginise your phone again before installing the update, and then re-unlock/jailbreak the phone afterwards..should be perfectly safe if you do that.

9. HaGG macrumors member

Is ziphone really that bad? I've seen 3 unlocked so far and they all worked fine :confused:

10. Orelhas macrumors newbie

Unlock= use the iphone with any sim card, from the telco you want
    Jailbreak= allows your iphone to run 3rd party apps.
    Pwnd= allows you to do what you want with your iphone, including running a different OS.

You can do everything separatly or have your iphone get all the above. Either way it's your choice which OS to run or the apps you want. You can keep it has it came from the factory, just unlock it and use another telco company.

By the way, not judging, but what's a 12 year old kid doing with an iphone? I know it's a hell of a toy, and sure it can be used to pick up chicks (allthough you're too young) but it's meant to be used as something more... professional. Anyway... I had my first cell when i was 17! And i'm not that old! Enjoy your iphone none the less.

Anymore questions: google. Or PM.

Edit: Someone beat me on reply

11. Spud1 macrumors member

It does still work 99% of the time, and i've not heard of *that*many problems with it..but it uses old methods to do the unlock, and does so with a "one step" process which is why it is risky :) It also downgrades your bootloader to 3.9, which doesnt have any known negative effects, however could cause you problems when sending your phone into repair.

Ziphone is by far the easiest way to do it, but methods like pwnage (which actually use iTunes itself to backup/restore your iphone) are much safer, and worth the extra 5 mins of reading.

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's impossible to brick your iPhone with anything other than Pwnage.

Anyway, several people on the Apple forums have actually been able to set up their iPhone as a pay as you go phone without unlocking. They simply asked AT&T and they did it for them =/.

Hey, it's from the Apple forums and no one refuted them.