Will There Ever Be a Third-Party Pencil?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dmunz, Jun 13, 2017.

1. dmunz macrumors regular

I kind of asked this in another thread but it got buried.

Is there any chance that Apple will allow third-parties access to the pencil technology? Montblanc makes a really nice stylus for the Samsung Note line that is fully functional (not one of those circle-tip deals). It would be nice to have that option for the iPad.

Now, I get that not having a Montblanc Pencil is a bit of a FWP but that is just an example. Opening up the tech to other vendors could allow for all kinds of size and shape options for those that write a lot or the artistic community.

FWIW
    DLM

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm rather surprised that we haven't seen a flood of them already.

3. jschu22 macrumors regular

I’m not surprised at all. I have my doubts anyone could make one for less so why would someone buy it, unless it was aimed at the extremely limited luxury market.

The reality is that there are plenty of 3rd party pencils- Its the typically garbage stylus that works with most any capacitive touchscreen.

4. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I really (really, really) would love a smaller version with a "lower" center of gravity nearer the tip. Really.

5. dmunz thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, not even close. I have the first edition of this and it was useful on my iPad air but it doesn't even compete with the pencil. Again, I'll reference the Montblanc stylus. It works exactly like the original stylus in the Note. (You bring is close to the screen and the pop-up menu opens, etc.)

I would like a similar option for the pencil.

FWIW
    DLM