Will there ever be a Touch ID feature on Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by definitive, Oct 14, 2014.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

It looks like the next version of iPad will be getting the TouchID feature to further secure the device from theft, but what about Apple laptops (and desktops)? It's something that makes sense, but will Apple ever implement it?

2. Schnapple macrumors newbie

Just the other day I was noticing how my work Windows laptop has a fingerprint scanner on it. I think most of the laptops I've ever used at full time jobs have them. Not once have I ever used it - I don't think it's set up (usually the software isn't even imaged with them) and our IT departments have never implemented them as a security feature.

Entirely possible it would be different on the Mac but this is something the Windows world has had forever and no one cares.

Of course, up to a point you could say that about the tablet computer as well...

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Apple has patents on building Touch ID into the screen itself on phones so maybe they could build it into the trackpad. Just touch anywhere and your Mac unlocks :cool:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you shutting off and turning on your computer so often throughout the day that you need Touch ID to log in multiple times an hour? :confused:

If you want a fingerprint reader, they sell for; very cheap.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Yes, I want one, and do shut my system down often, and just like the fact I can swipe or press as I do with the iPhone 5S which gives me an added security measure, and peace of mind....;)

6. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

I'd imagine that people who use laptops would find such a feature very useful, especially when traveling, or in general, when leaving their laptops unattended. Turn on? Use TouchID. Wake from sleep? Use TouchID. Laptop stolen? Have to use TouchID.

7. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I'd prefer to have my password rather than touch ID in any of those circumstance. And I doubt any IT department would ever use that feature to let a user log on to their server.