Will there ever be an ATI control panel for the 4870?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheSpaz, May 27, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I really wanna force vertical sync for some of my games, but I can't get the ATI Displays control panel to play nice with my new 4870. The entire 3D section doesn't even show up. Anyone know if ATI will come out with a control panel to tweak driver settings like they did for previous cards?

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

It would be nice if they did, but for right now I kind of doubt it. You could try emailing their customer service, but if we were to expect it, it would have happened with the release of the 3870 - as the 4870 is an  card...

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why do Macs suck when it comes to graphics cards and drivers? Geeze... I would rather not go into Windows to play one game.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Well, you could try Crossover. Or something else like it.

5. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

It is a real shame ATI haven't updated their software - It is a universal Binary but no work has been done on adding the latest cards. For old titles the overrides were a real plus. There are even some modern titles that they worked better than in game options.

It was also a great differentiator for them and I'm sure it made some users pick ATI cards both OEM and as retail upgrades.

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Exactly! I heard that ATI drivers were better than Nvidia and that helped me make the switch from my 8800GT. Yes, this ATI card performs better and I no longer get tearing in Safari scrolling so it's a little better but geeze, I really hope they update their software soon.

7. MatchFrame macrumors member

I find this all the more relevant now since the release of Steam on the Mac.

8. cured.not.dried macrumors member

there used to be an ATI overclocking control panel made by a french dude, i think. it was like 8 years ago, but it existed.

nowadays there are a lot more settings to play with than just clock speeds, though, so a comprehensive third party app would take far more effort.

9. jeanlain macrumors 6502a

That was ATIccelerator II, and it's completely outdated (doesn't run on intel Macs).

10. cured.not.dried macrumors member

yeah, it was for like rage 128 cards :D

my point was that there have been apps like this, just none any more, and that they'd be a lot harder to make since cards these days have so many features to play with.

11. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I tried any things but by far the best way to play games on a mac is Bootcamp. In five or ten years it could be different, but definetly not now.
    Buy a copy of Windows and a hard drive for Windows and games and it will work like a charm (i mean like a Windows PC).
    If you want to play games on a mac whitout rebooting, you have either very slow or very few working games...

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Indeed...

I (also) have a MDD G4 1.25 GHz with Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB VRAM) card, running Mac OS X Tiger.
    The ATi Control Panel on that system is gr8! Older games like F1 CS 2000 look so much better when that games runs with the ATi 3D override settings.

Having that little utility for my main system (Mac Pro '08 with Radeon HD 4870) would be so fun....
    Please, ATi, have some fun and write us that gr8 little app again!